Help! I think I put too much hydrogen peroxide

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been adding hydrogen peroxide to help with dinos, and its been working. But tonight I messed up and got confused and thought it was 3 ml per 10 gallons instead of 1 ml per 10. It i just hurt my tank and fish?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it w be ok at that level I’ve seen some 5-10 mils used per ten gallons and they barely survived lol that three is ok for most animals.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have some seneye studies with peroxide showing paradoxical effects

not once has any practical range of peroxide been shown to negatively impact a biofilter though that rumor persists

of course anything we do impacts bacteria, a full water change when moving tanks to a new home impacts bacteria but we can see in pics it’s not a negative impact or reefers would be very unhappy after move jobs. Placing our arms and hands in a tank impacts bacteria, but not in a way they can’t adapt just fine.

matter of fact, peroxide dosing boosted oxidation rates for a few hours last we checked. (Aerobes like oxygen?)

it would be more accurate based on actual studies to advise dosers they may have just boosted their filtration temporarily but it w go back to baseline soon enough.

Last edited:

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be ok, when I first started dosing, I went a bit high myself. I noticed the softer LPS like zoa's and clove polyps seemed a bit more ticked off for a while but they extended back out after a couple hours. The fish never even send to notice. Whether or not it impacted anything negatively at a more microscopic scale is hard to say. It certainly seemed to help accomplish what I was after though. I hear some have dosed that high, but it's something they seem to have gradually worked towards. You know how tanks dislike larger swings of anything.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back