Help ID Random Baby Snail

1stPhantom

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 28, 2024
Messages
143
Reaction score
107
Location
Feasterville-Trevose
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to feed my tank and seen a baby snail I have 2 turbo snail 2 astrea snails 2 sand shifting snails and a Babylon snail I have no clue where this little guy came from or how he survived with the amount of inverts I have please help ID I don’t know what this is and haven’t added anything in a month or 2

IMG_0305.jpeg IMG_0304.jpeg
 
Some whelks are predatory and can/will hunt other snails and eat them. Not sure if that is a predatory or a good one.
 
Some whelks are predatory and can/will hunt other snails and eat them. Not sure if that is a predatory or a good one.
Some whelks are predatory and can/will hunt other snails and eat them. Not sure if that is a predatory or a good one.
So how fast do they grow all other snail I forgot my 2 margarita snails as well there all pretty big or would that not matter
 
Depends on the variety I suppose. Nassarius (probably what your sand sifting snails are) are also whelks but they're good whelks.

I believe whelks are meat eaters rather than algae eaters so they eat leftover meaty food or dead/decaying stuff in the sand or hunt for meaty foods like other snails.
 
Depends on the variety I suppose. Nassarius (probably what your sand sifting snails are) are also whelks but they're good whelks.

I believe whelks are meat eaters rather than algae eaters so they eat leftover meaty food or dead/decaying stuff in the sand or hunt for meaty foods like other snails.
Ok thank you for the information I’m going to run the risk it might not survive because I have hermit crabs starting that size all the way up to a a little smaller than a 50 cent piece size ones
 
That looks like a whelk of some variety. Was it in th sand or on the glass?

@ISpeakForTheSeas ?
Look up Euplica scripta (it has a lot of color variations, so look at a bunch of different images to compare with) and see if that seems to be a match.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new