Help ID Starfish

  • Thread starter Thread starter drodge
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

drodge

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2016
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help ID'ing some starfish. I recently bought some corals from a local shop for a relatively new reef setup. Shortly afterwards, I noticed a couple of very tiny white starfish in the tank. At first they were barely visible, but they are have grown to between 1/4 and 1/2 inch in size in the past couple weeks. I've read that most starfish are terrible for reefs, so I'm anxious to get rid of them unless someone can positively ID them as harmless. Any help is greatly appreciated!
nIqOFGd.jpg
 
Thanks, that's what I was leaning toward after researching. The consensus from most sites seems to be they are probably harmless, but may reproduce quickly. I only see a few, so I think I'll just try to pull them out before they become a problem.
 
Asterina - they seem to take over with poor water quality (high phosphates and nitrates). For years I used them as a gauge to when to do water changes. Mine never hurt anything but did take over when my husbandry slacked
 
Well, that makes sense. I've struggled to keep phosphates down and have had algae issues off and on when the levels go up.

Thanks to everyone for all the input.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new