Help ID this Coral

FinsFan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Question: I received this small coral a few days ago from my LFS. I bought some other corals and they gave me this coral, but I forgot the name of it. Does it look like a Stylophora? It has a red tent. Photo is below.

Second Question: If this is a stylophora frag, its polyps have not extended/opened as of yet. I have placed this piece towards the top of my tank with moderate/high light and good flow since it is a SPS. It has been in this position for 3 days now. Should I move this piece to another spot or give it more time? Thanks for the advice and help.

A0A6B81A-B44D-4BF8-97EF-C3CD452B591A.jpeg 97D88F52-F524-473E-ABF1-FC029FE35D12.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to need a pic with white lights on, not blues.

OP
OP
FinsFan13

FinsFan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Branching Porites or a browned out acro
Im hesitant to say its a browned out acro, only because it's been in my tank for 3 days, the color under blue light hasn't changed since I put it in the tank, and I would hope my LFS wouldn't give me a distressed coral. It has a red color to it under blue light. I havent seen a branching porites before. But my coral appears to have polyp openings (closed now) on the surface.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It take months for an Acro to color up. 3 days will have zero effect even in the best of conditions. My vote is also for browned out nearly dead acropora. Not even close to enough corallites to be anything other than that.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Defiantly not a stylo, and the polyps I can see in the blue light pic make it look like acro. But like mentioned above, hard to tell anything other than that. Just leave it alone and hope it colors up and then starts some new growth. Once it grows maybe someone can ID it.
Could be an anacropora but the top right branch looks like it has a polyp at the tip in the blue light. And the chances of browning out an anacropora that badly are much less than a deepwater looking acropora.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back