Help ID this LPS

Gyarados

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this frag as a bonus from trading with a friend and he himself did not know what it was because of its small size. He had it under low light, low flow.
My guess would be LPS of some sort because of it’s skeletal structure. Thought I’d ask you guys to help I.D so I can give this coral proper flow and light.

FBFC6B45-3E3C-4F3F-99C4-175C597F748F.jpeg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is a... something. The coraline on the shell says that shell has been exposed for a long time, so I'd guess we're looking at a frag that's in the process of growing back from being a tiny scrap of flesh. It should manage just fine if given the right conditions, though.

Acan seems reasonable. Or- could it be something like a scoly? I don't know what their skeletons look like.

OP
OP
Gyarados

Gyarados

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the skeletal structure is bigger than the flesh does that mean that coral was once the size of the skeletal?

OP
OP
Gyarados

Gyarados

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I clean the skeletal so it can regrow on it more easily? Or is that not how it works lol?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The dead skeleton is now functionally the same as rock. It can't put its flesh back into that skeleton, it has to grow over the old material. No cleaning required- let it do its thing. Try feeding it, too.

OP
OP
Gyarados

Gyarados

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, thanks I’ll just put the coral under acan conditions

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this frag as a bonus from trading with a friend and he himself did not know what it was because of its small size. He had it under low light, low flow.
My guess would be LPS of some sort because of it’s skeletal structure. Thought I’d ask you guys to help I.D so I can give this coral proper flow and light.

Lobophylliidae sp.

Judging by the flesh, it's not an Acanthastrea (echinata, hemprichii, pachysepta), as those have a different flesh texture. If you are referring to Micromussa when you are saying acans, it's not that either, as those also do not have smooth flesh. Same thing with scolys (Homophyllia australis, cf Micromussa pacifica, Lobophyllia vitiensis) and wellsos (Trachyphyllia).

My best guess is that it's a lobophylliid chalice, most likely Echinophyllia.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks almost dead unfortunately

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant id but agree that judging from the coraline on the dead skeleton, this looks like a recovering lps. Like other’s suggested, some feeding will encourage growth. But rather than a dying frag which should show fresh and growing exposed white skeleton, this shows a recovering frag.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Looks like acan bowerbanki but very mis-shaped.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back