Help identify disease on clown

Polithium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. Need some help.I am pretty new at this. My clown has something growing on it, and I'm not real sure what it is. I don't want to diagnose incorrectly. I've only had him 3 days. And he's been in qt since I got him. Parameters are ok, and copper power is in tank. He acts completely normal. Eating,breathing, swimming..

Screenshot_20210512-144800_Motion photo viewer.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Infected wound maybe? Looks like maybe a scrape or cut covered in some fungal growth or something. Not sure, but here's a bump.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooklynella...

You need to treat this asap, it kills quickly.

Options:

1. 45 min bath in 37% Formaldehyde solution (Formulin) or,

2. 90 min Ruby Reef Rally bath

Then, follow this with 10-14 days of Metrodonizole dosed to the water column every 48hrs.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooklynella...

Options:

Then, follow this with 10-14 days of Metrodonizole dosed to the water column every 48hrs.
I second what Idoc says. Had the same happen to my clown fish...

OP
OP
P

Polithium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooklynella...

Options:

I can do ruby reef. Don't have metro. What about seachem paraguard?
If not I can get some metro from Amazon quick

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can do ruby reef. Don't have metro. What about seachem paraguard?
If not I can get some metro from Amazon quick
I'm not familiar with Paraguard use with Brooklynella. You should be able to get some MetroPlex (Metrodonizole) on Amazon quickly...or at a LFS. You can also use API General Cure... it has Metrodonizole & Praziquantel in it.

Make sure the Ruby Reef Rally is brought up to normal tank temp and run an airstone in the bath with it. I believe it is also recommended to run the airstone prior to using the bath as well to bring up the oxygen levels in the bath.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Brook typically this localized?

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brook can affect other fish, but not as likely as with clowns. They are much more prone to brook than other fish. At least that's what I've been told and from what I've researched.
It's not a localized disease...

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I meant localized/isolated on a single part of the body. This seems to only be affecting the area above the pectoral fin that the OP says started as a dot.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable symptom of Brooklynella is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections.
Typical treatment is a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief may be provided by giving fish a FW bath or dip. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%

Back