Help identify what is growing in my tank.

HammyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this is my first post. I’m worried about my trochus snails. None of them have moved in a couple of days but I checked and they are all still alive. Tur

After doing some research many threads talk about Dino’s being toxic to snails. I do have what I thought was just algae growing quickly in my tank. On the Rocks mostly but also on the sand and glass. I just cleaned my tank 2 days ago and I already have noticeable growth. I will attach pictures so you guys can tell me if I am being paranoid about dinos.

It’s worth mentioning that I used chemiclean a couple of months ago for a red cyano outbreak.
Tank Temp 78.3 Salinity 1.025 ammonia 0.15 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 (weird because it is usually 2 or 3) I haven’t checked phosphates yet today but it is usually 0
0DAC8103-D05F-4BAC-ACC2-0DE6C398C974.jpeg
FB5AD5E1-8451-4F35-93D0-F855DD10FFEF.jpeg
F8B38B37-F325-4546-9F06-75C781643EEE.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s a type of fungus and doesn’t produce bubbles but hangs onto them
It is caused by high nutrients, heavy feeding and lack of water flow.
Some things you can do to remove are:
  • scrubbing and doing water changes, but it doesn't really come off, But for knocking off the detritus that gets caught in it.
  • cut back on feeding to basically near nothing.
  • Try dosing peroxide at ml per 10 gallons of water. No ill effects to corals.
  • Add gfo but only like a teaspoon.
  • Scrub with a toothbrush and blow off with a turkey baster

OP
OP
H

HammyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bio cube 32g. I have filter floss and and chemipure elite in the media basket. Are you saying add Gfo directly to the water?

OP
OP
H

HammyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a type of fungus and doesn’t produce bubbles but hangs onto them
It is caused by high nutrients, heavy feeding and lack of water flow.
Some things you can do to remove are:
  • scrubbing and doing water changes, but it doesn't really come off, But for knocking off the detritus that gets caught in it.
  • cut back on feeding to basically near nothing.
  • Try dosing peroxide at ml per 10 gallons of water. No ill effects to corals.
  • Add gfo but only like a teaspoon.
  • Scrub with a toothbrush and blow off with a turkey baster
Also I feed very little just a small amount once a day. I only have 2 clowns and a royal gramma in the tank

OP
OP
H

HammyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked phosphates and they are reading zero. Is there no chance this is dinos? Both nitrates and phosphates are at zero and my snails are not moving at all. Those are all signs of dinos from what I have read.

I am going to do a Dino test with a coffee filter like I have read about later.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd let your tank mature, the ugly algae stages last about a year. 10% weekly water changes. Turn lights out for a few days if it gets bad. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

OP
OP
H

HammyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha It seems you know a lot about dinos. Any chance this is dinos or is it just hair algae like was mentioned above.

OP
OP
H

HammyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming I did the coffee filter test correctly I didn’t notice any dinos. I am now stumped as to why my snails would be dying and why my nitrates and phosphates are reading zero. Any ideas?

Dwalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this is my first post. I’m worried about my trochus snails. None of them have moved in a couple of days but I checked and they are all still alive. Tur

After doing some research many threads talk about Dino’s being toxic to snails. I do have what I thought was just algae growing quickly in my tank. On the Rocks mostly but also on the sand and glass. I just cleaned my tank 2 days ago and I already have noticeable growth. I will attach pictures so you guys can tell me if I am being paranoid about dinos.

It’s worth mentioning that I used chemiclean a couple of months ago for a red cyano outbreak.
Tank Temp 78.3 Salinity 1.025 ammonia 0.15 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 (weird because it is usually 2 or 3) I haven’t checked phosphates yet today but it is usually 0
0DAC8103-D05F-4BAC-ACC2-0DE6C398C974.jpeg
FB5AD5E1-8451-4F35-93D0-F855DD10FFEF.jpeg
F8B38B37-F325-4546-9F06-75C781643EEE.jpeg
You don’t have any coral so, like someone else suggested turn off the lights and cover with a blanket to keep out all ambient light for at least a week.

OP
OP
H

HammyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 2 of my trochus snails died. I have kept the lights off completely for about 36 hours but I haven't blacked it out. I tried using a blanket but my tank started to heat up after 20 minutes or so. I also bought a tail spot blenny in hopes that it will eat some algae.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back