Help identifying algae

Oceansinmybasement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help and advice identifying an algae that seems to be popping up throughout my tank. I recently had what I am almost certain to have been cyano bacteria, appeared like a red/purple carpet over sand and some rocks and easily brushed away, and I had dinoflagellates. I believe these stemmed from a spike in phosphates, although I’m not completely sure why that happened. To combat this I added a uv filter, did a 3 day blackout, reduced my feeding and added a power head to increase flow in the area the cyano started. I also started adding a buffer to help boost my pH a little from 8 to 8.3 and started using phosbond to help lower the phosphates. Following the blackout the tank looked quite well and had no visible cyano, or Dino. After a few days I started to get what looks like red hair coming off the rocks apears different from the cyano I had before, they are much longer strands and they are randomly placed all over the rocks, there is not a coating over the rock itself but rather just hairs coming off the rocks. I’ve attached a few photos although it is difficult to see with the lighting. Any idea what this is and how to treat?
EF117EF8-0150-47B7-A48B-DBC3BED697A2.jpeg
36BE96FA-2D38-4EBA-8312-288AFB4AE5AA.jpeg

OP
OP
Oceansinmybasement

Oceansinmybasement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal will help
Not sure if I mentioned but I have been attempting manual removal and keeps returning. My concern was after the blackout the change in appearance, I’m not sure if it’s something else or still cyano. And if it is what other treatment options there is.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to turn up white lights and snap another pic? It’s really hard to make the algae out.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back