OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on freshwater dip for both hippos and domino, after that I’ll dose the first dose of copper.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big clown, small clown, blue damsel, domino damsel, diamond goby, 2 blue hippos, possum wrasse and one that looks like royal grama but I’m not sure it’s royal grama.
I actually went ahead and bought a 30G tank now but I’m not sure if it will cycle fast enough, putting the sponge filter from the more established tank will be enough?
A sponge filter from a mature tank will help. Be sure to monitor the ammonia daily with a good test kit. You can also use Dr Tim’s bacteria to keep the ammonia in check.
Jay

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again,
so I dosed the tank yesterday with the first dose of copper and today I'll dose that second dose.
Unfortunately I need to go on a road trip and I won't be able to monitor the fish, I might put a camera on the tank.
I already have 2 dead fish, one yesterday before the dosing and one today.
Can you see anything that you recognize on the poor clown?
The pinkish color wasn't there yesterday, the fish ate normal till I found him dead this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_2416.jpg
    IMG_2416.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2414.jpg
    IMG_2414.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 44

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again,
so I dosed the tank yesterday with the first dose of copper and today I'll dose that second dose.
Unfortunately I need to go on a road trip and I won't be able to monitor the fish, I might put a camera on the tank.
I already have 2 dead fish, one yesterday before the dosing and one today.
Can you see anything that you recognize on the poor clown?
The pinkish color wasn't there yesterday, the fish ate normal till I found him dead this morning.
Dead fish typically don’t offer many clues, I see some post Mortem decomposition.
The road trip is going to make this tricky. You need to maintain a full dose of copper and then cross your fingers. I always tell folks - if fish loss occurs before copper is begun, copper takes up to 3 days to work, so continued losses are likely.
Do you have anyone caring for the tank while you travel? Maybe we can try to help them if they get stuck?
Jay

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The road trip is just for 5 days and my sister will come here at least twice. Just to make sure everything is ok, I don’t think I’ll ask her to check the copper level lol. I’ll check the level before we hit the road, it supposed to be at 0.5 now.
I’m really not sure if my little clown died from a disease, my female clown had 3 clowns by now that died all of a sudden with no explanation. I never seen aggressive behaviour towards them.
I do see some ammonia in the tank, I did a small water change yesterday and it went back to normal but now it’s up again.

Gqch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
they looks more like a beginning of brooklynella to me, its alike the ich but worse! uv light plus copper dips may help them recover. good luck!

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what i've read it wo't be a good idea to add uv. and i already dosed cupermine.
I wish i would dip the small clown in freshwater as well. but he is so small that i couldn't see anything on him.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what i've read it wo't be a good idea to add uv. and i already dosed cupermine.
I wish i would dip the small clown in freshwater as well. but he is so small that i couldn't see anything on him.
Seeing brooklynella on a white clown is next to impossible. However it could have that, did you see anything like sheets of mucus coming off the fish?
Jay

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing brooklynella on a white clown is next to impossible. However it could have that, did you see anything like sheets of mucus coming off the fish?
Jay
Yes I did, you can bearly see it in the picture, around the head

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoomed image

Attachments

• 5BF6D97A-C37C-471F-972F-46219332F23A.jpeg
    5BF6D97A-C37C-471F-972F-46219332F23A.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 48

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoomed image
Was that there before the fish died? It could just be post mortem decomp if it wasn't. A microscope ends up being pretty important in many of these cases.

Copper won't be very effective against Brooklynella. UV won't help for pretty much anything unless you are treating water going from one tank to another.

Jay

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a digital microscope, if it happens again, what am I supposed to look for with the microscope?
I’m thinking about getting more professional microscope that will help me see phytoplankton.
I can’t tell if the fish had this before he died, he always moves fast and he was mostly white. I didn’t see anything concerning before he died.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a digital microscope, if it happens again, what am I supposed to look for with the microscope?
I’m thinking about getting more professional microscope that will help me see phytoplankton.
I can’t tell if the fish had this before he died, he always moves fast and he was mostly white. I didn’t see anything concerning before he died.
Microscopes have a steep learning curve, but look for a dissecting scope with 20 to 40x magnification. Then, look for many pear shaped moving ciliates bound in the mucus.

Jay

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got home today, everything looks fine in all tanks!
The copper level is 0.34 so I dosed some more copper.
All of the fish are alive.
For how long should I maintain 0.5 copper?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got home today, everything looks fine in all tanks!
The copper level is 0.34 so I dosed some more copper.
All of the fish are alive.
For how long should I maintain 0.5 copper?
I would hold it at a full dose for 14 days. For coppersafe, I use 30 days, but most folks use 14 for Cupramine. I would then hold the fish for another 14 days of no copper to ensure there is no relapse.
Jay

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do, after this 14 days period should I dose prazy? Or just observing?
I’m planning on leaving the display tank without fish for 45 days as you recommended.
And one more question, if I decide to buy a fish today, is it ok to put him in the hospital tank with the full dose copper? Or it will be to hard on him?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - 45 days fallow is the minimum time, and the water needs to be at 81 degrees. If you want to be more sure, go longer.
You can add fish right into copper, but remember, the quarantine counter resets to day zero if you add a new fish to an on going quaratine.
Jay

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t take into consideration the 81 degrees part, I have 7 shrimps, 2 starfishes, 3 anemones and many different corals, raising the temp will be fine for them?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t take into consideration the 81 degrees part, I have 7 shrimps, 2 starfishes, 3 anemones and many different corals, raising the temp will be fine for them?
That’s the problem, it may be too warm depending on the corals you have and how well they are doing. What is your current water temp?
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back