dcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Ive got these seahorses through a friend and I cant really tell if these are:
- 1 male and 1 female (erectus/lined).
- Or 1 Ingen and 1 reidi (not necessarily male and female).

I've attached 2 photos of each.
The overall body shape and specially their abdomens are very different.
Does any one has a better idea?
Thanks
IMG_20170923_122703.jpg
IMG_20170923_122902(1).jpg
IMG_20170923_123019.jpg
IMG_20170923_123152.jpg

Last edited:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both look like females to me but like you said, the body shapes are different. I do not know my species of seahorses, as I have only ever had H erectus. The second horse looks more immature to me and so although I would guess female they can develop a pouch anytime up to their first year of life, some perhaps even a little after that.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not tell for sure but is there a green frogspawn or hammer in your tank? Any stinging coral are not seahorse safe since seahorses have skin instead of scales like fish.

OP
OP
dcom

dcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @vlangel
Lets see if someone else can comment about their ID/sex.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.projectseahorse.org/conservation-tools/seahorse-id-guide you can download a PDF to help in identifying seahorse species. It can be VERY difficult as some species have very similar characteristics, and it isn't all that easy counting things like tail rings and other markers but it's better than nothing.
I don't know the species from the pictures. I agree they appear to be female, but we know that appearances can be VERY deceiving for females.
You can make it a bit easier by doing comparisons with other like specimens and look at where the anal fin is located. A seahorse that appears to be female but is just an immature male should have the anal fin slightly forward of any of the real females as the pouch will develop behind that anal fin.
There is so little difference that for me I have to have multiple specimens to compare and see a difference if any. Usually if you have about 3 or 4 "females" and the anal fin is all in the same location then they probably are not going to end up males.

OP
OP
dcom

dcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @rayjay
Great document... lots of info.
Will go through it and try to figure it out.

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Ive got these seahorses through a friend and I cant really tell if these are:
- 1 male and 1 female (erectus/lined).
- Or 1 Ingen and 1 reidi (not necessarily male and female).

I've attached 2 photos of each.
The overall body shape and specially their abdomens are very different.
Does any one has a better idea?
Thanks
IMG_20170923_122703.jpg
IMG_20170923_122902(1).jpg
IMG_20170923_123019.jpg
IMG_20170923_123152.jpg
Beautiful ponies! I agree with tthe others that it is hard to tell the sex from these pitures. IMO, the first looks female yet possibly could be a juvy male. The second looks female to me for sure. Do you know approximately how old they are? They might change to males still if young.
I noticed the green frogspawn/hammer? I learned the hard way about seahorses and LPS/stinging corals. My very first seahorse was in with one and the frogspawn killed it. If it is one, maybe you can relocate the coral? I saw a firefish in there too. Love them. Are there any other fish?

OP
OP
dcom

dcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful ponies! I agree with tthe others that it is hard to tell the sex from these pitures. IMO, the first looks female yet possibly could be a juvy male. The second looks female to me for sure. Do you know approximately how old they are? They might change to males still if young.
I noticed the green frogspawn/hammer? I learned the hard way about seahorses and LPS/stinging corals. My very first seahorse was in with one and the frogspawn killed it. If it is one, maybe you can relocate the coral? I saw a firefish in there too. Love them. Are there any other fish?

Thanks @I'm a natural blue I was only baby sitting this horsies for a week while my friend was on vacation and he doesnt know their age.
I had a pair of Ingens but dont currently have any seahorses.
I am waiting till I can get a pair of barbouri for my display tank, I've been adding gorgonians and my frogspawn is on sale but havent found a buyer yet.
All current livestock in my tank is: 1 firefish, 1 blenny and 1 mandarin

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @I'm a natural blue I was only baby sitting this horsies for a week while my friend was on vacation and he doesnt know their age.
I had a pair of Ingens but dont currently have any seahorses.
I am waiting till I can get a pair of barbouri for my display tank, I've been adding gorgonians and my frogspawn is on sale but havent found a buyer yet.
All current livestock in my tank is: 1 firefish, 1 blenny and 1 mandarin
Ah, I see. So you have got the fever huh? LOL those are perfect tank mates! Good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back