Help identifying what I believe is a bristleworm and if I should be concerned

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the pic isn’t better, but this “thing” wouldn’t come out any further and it was the best I could do. After googling, I’m pretty sure it’s a bristleworm, but since I’m new to this I’d like to make sure. Not sure if this photo gives enough detail.

If it is a bristleworm, should I be worried?

FCFA1077-27A6-4103-8FA8-E58CB7D2946B.png 5F779782-D7F7-44B0-B749-9219D0134786.png

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe good part of cuc but will make me more careful putting my hands in my tank as creeps me out ( unless my 3 year old daughter is around then i act tougher picking up earthworms at bbq last weekend to prove to her creepy crawlies arent to be afraid of) but if daughter not around then boy oh boy is this 42 year old macho man afraid ha ha ^_^

Upvote 0

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe good part of cuc but will make me more careful putting my hands in my tank as creeps me out ( unless my 3 year old daughter is around then i act tougher picking up earthworms at bbq last weekend to prove to her creepy crawlies arent to be afraid of) but if daughter not around then boy oh boy is this 42 year old macho man afraid ha ha ^_^

Haha put on your big boy pants you will be fine. Can have your hands in tank all day and never have any issue. Just dont go poking fingers in holes you cant see or grabbing i rock by reaching under it and you are fine. In decades of my hands in tank they only got me once and that is because i was stupidly grabbling piles of rock rubble out sump without gloves when buying/moving someone elses tank.

Upvote 0

shartpants007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s a bristleworm. A lot of people like them but I try to eliminate them whenever I can. They can reproduce very quickly and become annoying, especially in a smaller tank. They won’t necessarily damage anything, though, so it’s up to you whether you try to remove them or not.

Upvote 0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s a bristleworm. A lot of people like them but I try to eliminate them whenever I can. They can reproduce very quickly and become annoying, especially in a smaller tank. They won’t necessarily damage anything, though, so it’s up to you whether you try to remove them or not.
FWIW,

Their population is solely dependent on their available food source. Over feed and you have a ton(they are only doing what they are meant to do, clean up crap!), feed just right and their population will be just right(and usually stay out of sight).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it is, and no reason to be concerned
Agree with above. Bristleworm. Good part of CUC.
I paid money to add bristleworms to my tank. Don't go touching them without a glove on though
Bristle Worm for sure never touch one with your bare skin you can make traps to catch them if you want to remove them alot of people like them I had a 6 line that liked to feed on them
Such a relief!!! Thank you all!

Upvote 0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 88 49.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back