**HELP IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY MIDAS BLENNY**

MikeyD1182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this Midas Blenny from my local fish / coral shop 2 days ago and he or she is housed with my 2 mocha super storm clowns, a civil 6 line wrasse and a cleaner shrimp. The Midas blenny jumped right out of the tank the moment I put him or her in and I luckily picked it up and put it back in the acclimation bucket to rinse off an make sure it was alright, seemed fine so transferred back to tank just under the lid this time. Midas seemed fine but today it’s jumping it’s head out of the water tryna eat whatever bubbles are on the surface and just racing back and forth. Not sure what’s going on but here’s a video of what it’s doing right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Parameters are as follows.

Temp 78.7

PH 7.77

Salinity 1.025

Calcium 475

Alkalinity 11.2

Nitrate 2.5

Phosphate 0.135

Magnesium 1380

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen fish do this behavior before. I don't think it's a good thing. Your alk is screaming high (not sure if that impacts a blenny?)

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen fish do this behavior before. I don't think it's a good thing. Your alk is screaming high (not sure if that impacts a blenny?)
Alk is on the high end of acceptable parameters. But I’m wondering if the floor it jumped on was a hard surface . Does his head have any marks on it ??

OP
OP
MikeyD1182

MikeyD1182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is indeed weird. I’ve never seen that in any fish but I’ve also never had a midas blenny. Can it be looking for floating pellets or food at the surface ? Does it eat ?
It definitely eats when I feed daily and it’s usually social swimming around with the clowns and hanging out. I got the blenny on Wednesday.

OP
OP
MikeyD1182

MikeyD1182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is on the high end of acceptable parameters. But I’m wondering if the floor it jumped on was a hard surface . Does his head have any marks on it ??
The floor it landed on is vinyl plank flooring type of a floor so yes hard, no visible marks on its head. It was fine Thursday and Friday this erratic behavior started this early afternoon and it is now back in its crevice in the rockwork where it randomly retreats to.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The floor it landed on is vinyl plank flooring type of a floor so yes hard, no visible marks on its head. It was fine Thursday and Friday this erratic behavior started this early afternoon and it is now back in its crevice in the rockwork where it randomly retreats to.
Give it sometime . Just keep a eye on him . He’ll probably snap out of it

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this Midas Blenny from my local fish / coral shop 2 days ago and he or she is housed with my 2 mocha super storm clowns, a civil 6 line wrasse and a cleaner shrimp. The Midas blenny jumped right out of the tank the moment I put him or her in and I luckily picked it up and put it back in the acclimation bucket to rinse off an make sure it was alright, seemed fine so transferred back to tank just under the lid this time. Midas seemed fine but today it’s jumping it’s head out of the water tryna eat whatever bubbles are on the surface and just racing back and forth. Not sure what’s going on but here’s a video of what it’s doing right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Parameters are as follows.

Temp 78.7

PH 7.77

Salinity 1.025

Calcium 475

Alkalinity 11.2

Nitrate 2.5

Phosphate 0.135

Magnesium 1380

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

This isn’t behaviour I’d worry about. I’ve had Midas blennies and they don’t behave much like their cousins at all in which they swim in the open water more often.

OP
OP
MikeyD1182

MikeyD1182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t behaviour I’d worry about. I’ve had Midas blennies and they don’t behave much like their cousins at all in which they swim in the open water more often.
Thank you, It honestly freaked me out because it looked like idk it was being electrocuted the way it was waving in through the water tryna get out or something. I will keep an eye on him or her.

collins.jason.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to worry about. He looks ok to me. Nice and colored up. Looks like he's having fun in the flow. Mine likes to take a few laps across the top of my tank every so often.

As stated above, they are more open water swimmers than other blennies, which is why I like them more.

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, It honestly freaked me out because it looked like idk it was being electrocuted the way it was waving in through the water tryna get out or something. I will keep an eye on him or her.
My midas blenny does something very similar for the past 4 months. He doesn’t stick his head out but does swim against the current near the surface when rest of the fish are chilling around. I thought it was flukes and did two rounds of treatment and is still doing the exact same thing. I would keep an eye on it but should be fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back