Help!!! Is this ich, velvet or brook???

Ammirati

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my 2 clownfish is covered (see pic). A little history...my DT got ich October and killed almost everything. I left if fallow for 76 days. I QT everything now in copper for 30 days before it goes in the DT. Did ich survive the fallow period? I even got a freshwater black Molly and tested the tank that way. The Molly is perfect no sign anything. What should I treat for?? My Blue Hippo has a little bit of spots on it. Also my valentin puffer has a couple white spots on its bottom fin (couldn't get a pic). Everyone is eating but I did loose a yellow clown goby Thursday who looked like he had what the clownfish has. I also lost my Pearlscale Butterfly Wednesday who looked like it had absolutely nothing. All water perimeters are fine except I was in the hospital and nitrates spiked to around 80ppm. Help!?

5FEB97F2-42BD-4F36-96E1-BA8CBC21AD61.jpeg 6EE21794-F2B1-49A0-B6BD-BDEFDB2783C3.jpeg 7D1699B6-7873-4FFB-ADE3-A604D7961195.jpeg FE336383-2AD8-45B2-8041-FF598EA52DEA.jpeg 025522E9-4E07-4C9A-9433-71CCCB81899C.jpeg D43678F6-5123-4550-8A55-5A1DD405C61F.jpeg FACFEA1A-5056-45D0-ABA9-28130F6E0759.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing added to the tank since fallow that was "wet" like corals, inverts, etc.?

Copper treatment doesn't eliminate Brook. It will suppress it but once the copper is gone, the Brook parasites can come back with a fury. The problem we have is Early Brook can present much like Ich/velvet.

OP
OP
A

Ammirati

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing added to the tank since fallow that was "wet" like corals, inverts, etc.?

Copper treatment doesn't eliminate Brook. It will suppress it but once the copper is gone, the Brook parasites can come back with a fury. The problem we have is Early Brook can present much like Ich/velvet.

Absolutely nothing wet added to the tank since fallow. Tank has been OK since late December when fallow ended. I'm not sure what to treat for. I know Rally is best as a bath but I dosed Rally Pro in the DT for the last 3 days. I'm FOWLR.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the acriflavine in RRR works pretty good on Brook. But the bath and then into a clean parasite free tank is the key. If the tank has Brook in it, reinfection occurs.

OP
OP
A

Ammirati

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the acriflavine in RRR works pretty good on Brook. But the bath and then into a clean parasite free tank is the key. If the tank has Brook in it, reinfection occurs.

Thank you, so you're leaning towards it being Brook? Wouldn't the black Molly show something fast since it's not immune to any saltwater disease?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brook should show up faster as it has a direct life cycle on the fish.

When the display went fallow, did you stir the sand a bit. We've seen evidence in studies that some parasites can go dormant in the anerobic areas of the tank for extended periods of time, longer than the normal fallow time period.

Here's an article by Humblefish on why fallow sometimes fails:

OP
OP
A

Ammirati

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brook should show up faster as it has a direct life cycle on the fish.

When the display went fallow, did you stir the sand a bit. We've seen evidence in studies that some parasites can go dormant in the anerobic areas of the tank for extended periods of time, longer than the normal fallow time period.

Here's an article by Humblefish on why fallow sometimes fails:

I did not stir the sand...

OP
OP
A

Ammirati

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't want to do formalin. Can I treat copper plus general cure alternating with metroplex?

OP
OP
A

Ammirati

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - My Valentin Puffer is covered now too, not looking good. Does what he has look like brook too? Sorry water is yellow because I put Furan 2 in. I've been doing dip in Rally, then in qt metro and furan 2. The clownfish died today...some others not looking great either. Other qt tank I'm treating with coppersafe, metro and furan 2. @Humblefish @HotRocks @4FordFamily @Big G someone help! I don't want another tank disaster as I lost all but 2 fish last year to ich before I started to QT everything.

45A5BDB1-1ED2-4F4B-9CD1-1B09EA9C7DDC.jpeg 684339F2-6B4C-453F-91AB-F20119BF81A6.jpeg BDB5864B-A5BB-4C5E-B561-39F4F47D27FE.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the ones that died displaying any symptoms like: swimming into powerheads, hiding from light, not eating?

OP
OP
A

Ammirati

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the ones that died displaying any symptoms like: swimming into powerheads, hiding from light, not eating?

No swimming into powerheads, ate but a little less than normal. Hid by the rocks so I guess avoided lights.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If these were my fish, I'd do the following to all of the fish, one by one:

1. Freshwater dip to remove as many parasites as possible.
2. Immediately follow the dip with a 60 minute bath in Ruby Reef Rally. (This step improves survival rates).
3. Then place fish into either copper or CP. CP is nice because it goes directly to therapeutic levels. With copper, I'd have the tank already predosed up to 1.00 ppm of Copper Power (preferred) or Coppersafe. Then quickly raise the copper to 2.0 ppm within 24-48 hours.
4. Also dose the tank with Metro + Kanaplex + Furan2. The Metro covers Brook. The Kanaplex + Furan2 will help prevent bacterial infections.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Ammirati

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If these were my fish, I'd do the following to all of the fish, one by one:

1. Freshwater dip to remove as many parasites as possible.
2. Immediately follow the dip with a 60 minute bath in Ruby Reef Rally. (This step improves survival rates).
3. Then place fish into either copper or CP. CP is nice because it goes directly to therapeutic levels. With copper, I'd have the tank already predosed up to 1.00 ppm of Copper Power (preferred) or Coppersafe. Then quickly raise the copper to 2.0 ppm within 24-48 hours.
4. Also dose the take with Metro + Kanaplex + Furan2. The Metro covers Brook. The Kanaplex + Furan2 will help prevent bacterial infections.

Thank you, I'm going to try this today. Is there anyone who can't do this process (I know no copper for the puffer). I have

Blue Hippo
Foxface
Clownfish
Engineer goby
Yellow watchman (who seems unaffected)
Anthias
Black freshwater Molly (seems unaffected)
Cardinals

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The list looks fine. As always any treatment comes with risk, especially depending on the individual fish's health at treatment.

You can treat the puffer with copper, but with high risk. I have. The difference is that you raise the copper levels v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y over 4 days or so. Best to do very small dose AM, lunch, PM. To watch for copper sensitivity. That's why for puffers CP is better to have on hand in your med kit.

OP
OP
A

Ammirati

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The list looks fine. As always any treatment comes with risk, especially depending on the individual fish's health at treatment.

You can treat the puffer with copper, but with high risk. I have. The difference is that you raise the copper levels v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y over 4 days or so. Best to do very small dose AM, lunch, PM. To watch for copper sensitivity. That's why for puffers CP is better to have on hand in your med kit.

Here is an update. I followed your procedure above and was able to save some. My puffer is doing awesome, looks like nothing ever happened. My blue Hippo, Foxface, purple firefish, yellow watchman, one Cardinal and the black Molly are doing great too. The one engineer goby is if-y...still looks like his skin is peeling. I lost the second engineer goby, the clown, one Cardinal and anthias. Thank you for your help. I will now up my QT game to involve more than just copper and prazi.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back