HELP! JAWFISH QUESTION

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so it's been a few hours since I've seen my pearly jawfish. This is the second one (first died by jumping out of the tank, since then I got a glass lid and made sure there's nowhere he can jump out from). I've had him for about to weeks now and he's usually always in the same burrow . My question is if a jawfish dies in the tank is it likely that he will die in his burrow? Or more likely that it'll die and float or stay on the sandbed? Please let me know what you guys think

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't understand how he could of jumped out of a 1mm gap.....

Attachments

• 20210815_194248.jpg
    20210815_194248.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210815_194251.jpg
    20210815_194251.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210815_194254.jpg
    20210815_194254.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 35

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had your lid off for maintance or feeding, he likely jumped then since I don't see any gap big enough for a jawfish.

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had your lid off for maintance or feeding, he likely jumped then since I don't see any gap big enough for a jawfish.
I cleaned yesterday and did a waterchange but I put the lid back and even saw him this morning when I fed him before i left for work. He must of jumped idk what else to do I want another one so bad but I feel like he'll just jump again.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned yesterday and did a waterchange but I put the lid back and even saw him this morning when I fed him before i left for work. He must of jumped idk what else to do I want another one so bad but I feel like he'll just jump again.
well if there isn't a bigger gap/way to get out the filter. Maybe he pushed it up. They are definitely escape artists.

Critteraholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadness. So sorry. But please don't quit!

+1 @Tamberav Do you have any rocks/something with weight to it to put on top of anything not locked down? They'll hit with speed/power and since they're slimy and squishy, fish can get through the smallest darn places. Oh, and make sure there are a bunch of hiding places for him all through the tank, sometimes that helps with jumpers. Also, see if he's being picked on enough to make him want to escape. Good luck!

ARCkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping jawfish for over 20 years and have had four different species. I have lost a couple of jumpers and it is amazing how small a space they can jump through. I even had one get into the overflow box, go through the siphon to get out from under the tank cover and jump from the uncovered part. In my experience they settle down somewhat over time. I wouldn't say the danger ever completely goes away, but when they feel more secure in the tank and comfortable in their burrow the urge to jump is much less. I personally haven't lost one that I've had more than a month. It has also helped to use a PVC burrow in quarantine and move the fish into the display tank in the burrow. I bury the burrow in an appropriate spot in the tank and put an upside down breeder net over it for the first day or two to give the fish a chance to settle in.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 3 jawfish. None of them ever jumped. I usually place a pvp pipe slightly buried in the spot I’d like the to live so I can watch them. I think it helps that they have a place to hide right away when you introduce them to the tank. That way they aren’t so scared that they jump??

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back