Help.. Korallin Bio Denitrator S-1502 keeps filling with air

Mac93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Loooking for some guidance with the Korallin denitrator. I’m feeding the reactor with a Kamoer FXSTP2. Been running for a week +. Set up per discussions and referenced others threads here. Problem I have is when i run the recirc pump it fills with air. No leaks other than when I run the feed pump at > 60 ml/s with recirc on and then will get after psuhing out of the supplied de-gasser valve. Yes the valve is closed. If I put the other valve in the end of the effluent line to control flow rate, the degas set valve will leak then as well. Appreciate any guidance. This is my first time setting up a reactor of this type and I’m sure I’m missing something. Thanks

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that you should pull water through the reactor never push. Maybe if it is not too much trouble maybe you could submerge the reactor to see if any bubbles escape.

OP
OP
M

Mac93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Will think about re-orienting the pump to pull rather than push; however, it looks like others have some type of pump feeding their reactors and I am hoping someone might be able to opine on what I'm doing incorrectly

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look before your own thread there are at least two threads about your reactor and they maybe able to help.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. Ironically, I'm using a plain $50 Tom's Aqualifter Pump, and have had no trouble with bubbles. Maybe your $300 pump peristaltic dosing pump is just too powerful, or is somehow the source of injecting bubbles into the system? When you think about it, when maxed-out (after break-in) your effluent will be only a few drops per second; wouldn't that mean that whatever intake pump used only has to be capable of a few drops per second?-- not exactly the need for anything powerful, it seems to me. Then on there other hand, there 'is' the valve to occasionally bleed-out air from the top of the chamber, so it must accumulate for some people to some degree, sometimes. Sorry I can't be of more assistance. Let us know whether you solve the problem. ;)

OP
OP
M

Mac93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Will play around with it some more. I have the pump turned down to 10ml/min and still not Working properly so don’t think that is the issue. Would love to know where I can get a Tom’s aqualifter so I can use this pump on something else. I read the other threads and they convinced me to try this method With this reactor. i Clearly have something not set up correctly.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just check about 8 or more websites for the Tom's Aqualifter Pump, and they seem to be gone, gone, gone, and probably not coming back. ;Wideyed

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to add I have a diy one set up almost 1 yr. For sure no leaks I can actually pressurize it. Still gets a good amount of air in it. Maybe when you turn the pump on its dislodging trapped air. Read 1st post again maybe the valves can't handle the pressure. Is that water where it leaks from? Those valves are more of a cheap looking shut off type by the looks of pictures.

OP
OP
M

Mac93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on cheap valves and I’m going to mod like I saw in another thread for this reactor. currently have the Kamoer pulling rather than pushing and that valve still leaked when the recirc pump was on so I turned the pump off just to keep flow through the reactor until I can get the new parts installed.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.6%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 98 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back