Help lighting 28 cube

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 7 year old daughter has been asking for an aquarium like mine in her room for a long time. I happened to snag a JBJ 28 cube for 50 bucks recently and I am starting the process of cleaning it up and getting it ready for her. The lights were removed out of the hood and it is just an empty chamber. Does anyone know a cheap led unit that could be set inside the lighting chamber without overheating? I don't want any crazy corals but I'd like her to be able to have some GSP or zoas or whatever, real easy stuff. Would like something with a moonlight channel and timers, ramping would be nice. Is there anything like this in the less than $100 range?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No good choices for under $100 new.

At 22" deep, the Current Orbit kind of fits your needs, but IMHO it's pretty weak on a tank that deep even with easy corals.

Others may have better ideas, but I'd look for a new or used Mars Aqua or Ocean Revive led fixture. That's enough to keep almost anything in the tank. No sunrise/sunset ramping, but good quality light and the Ocean Revive has built-in timers.

Lucky you to have an 8 year old who is interested in the hobby! Good luck.

OP
OP
Gobi-Wan

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No good choices for under $100 new.

At 22" deep, the Current Orbit kind of fits your needs, but IMHO it's pretty weak on a tank that deep even with easy corals.

Others may have better ideas, but I'd look for a new or used Mars Aqua or Ocean Revive led fixture. That's enough to keep almost anything in the tank. No sunrise/sunset ramping, but good quality light and the Ocean Revive has built-in timers.

Lucky you to have an 8 year old who is interested in the hobby! Good luck.
Yeah I was looking at the current orbits actually. That was my first light on my 75 gallon and it kept some frogspawn and hammers happy and growing for quite a quite before my tastes got more expensive lol. I don't think they make one small enough for the hood of the 28, however the hood is pretty abused and I was thinking about ditching it and cutting an acrylic lid and going with the 18" orbit or some kind of gooseneck fixture. A used AI prime even, if one could be had cheap.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back