Help - Little Clown

CherryRock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help.

Does anyone know what this could be on my little clown? It started off as a red bump under his mouth, but has turned white and he now seems to be bothered by it and keeps his mouth open all the time.

Tank is relatively new (2 months) and this guy seems to be having issues. He is the smaller of the two and gets picked on a little, but have never seen them fight or lock on to each other.

What's in my tank:
- 2 Ocellaris clowns
- 8 snails

IMG_6772.jpeg IMG_6776.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please help.

Does anyone know what this could be on my little clown? It started off as a red bump under his mouth, but has turned white and he now seems to be bothered by it and keeps his mouth open all the time.

Tank is relatively new (2 months) and this guy seems to be having issues. He is the smaller of the two and gets picked on a little, but have never seen them fight or lock on to each other.

What's in my tank:
- 2 Ocellaris clowns
- 8 snails

IMG_6772.jpeg IMG_6776.jpeg
It’s an abscess and likely from a bacterial infection that has become secondary and will require treatment in a separate quarantine setting using Maracyn 2 or seachem kanaplex for treatment

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I agree that this looks like and abscess. It may be fighting. Clownfish are very sly and often won’t fight while you are around.
Is it breathing faster than the other one?
Jay

OP
OP
C

CherryRock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, for the help and welcome!

Just getting into reef tanks and have been just trying to learn. I figured the clown probably got in a fight with the other or scraped it on a rock, but had no idea what to do.

I'll get a quarantine tank tomorrow and see if I can get him back to good health.

He does seem to be breathing a little harder, but he is still going after food and it swimming around well.

OP
OP
C

CherryRock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the little clown didn’t make it.
I’ll have to chalk this up to inexperience and not knowing when to put in quarantine.

Does this look like a bite that turned into an infection still or something else? Half his jaw was gone on the left side.
Just want to make sure I know for next time.
D27BF5C9-2A09-480B-A403-47F744B788B9.jpeg
1493F756-C9D1-4BFC-B295-9730E2CD5230.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry,

It does look like an abscess that the bacteria then consumed the tissue around. Those often result from fighting, in the case of clowns, "lip locking".

Jay

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back