Help lowering magnesium

xaacuetara

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

I've struggling with high levels of magnesium in my tank, I check parameters every week, and for the past 3 weeks, magnesium has been going up. Also my nitrates are kind of high, but those are going gradually down, so I'm not too worried about it.

So I would really really appreciate any advice, to control magnesium a little. Thanks a lot!

Specific gravity 1.026
Calcium 380
Phosphate 0305
Alkalinity 10.2
Magnesium 2000
Nitrates 20
Ammonia 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt do you use? How did it get to that level? Have you taken sample to LFS for second test check?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As inferred by Lavey29, I'd first question the test kit results and I would want to see if a different test kit gave a significantly different number and if your current test kit gave a significantly different number on new saltwater that's been sitting a while to stabalize or on another system. If after verifying the number you are sitting at 2000 the only thing I would do is maybe larger water changes, I've seen high magnesium in systems a few times and haven't figured out why but also noticed it doesn't appear to have any negative affect on corals over the short term.

monfilsi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had this issue and posted my journey here:

I found test kits to be quite unreliable for Magnesium. But once I got a reference sample and was able to calibrate the test kits around the reference samples, that improved my confidence in the measurements. Aquaforest has a magnesium test kit with a reference sample.
1692672109028.jpeg

Also found that snails become lethargic and eventually die (starve?) at levels around 1700ppm for prolonged periods (3+ wks). People report the same with clams.

I did 8% water changes per day for ~25 days with Tropic Marine salt (~1330pm Mag) to bring my levels back in check. If you don't have any issues with your wildlife I would do smaller water changes over a longer period of time.

What are you dosing? The magnesium has to be imported from somewhere: dosing, salt mix, some foods have magnesium as an additive.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back