Help Make my overflow quiet

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve attached a video so you can see the noise it makes, but it’s like a constant surging through the overflow. Almost a flushing noise. And I can see the water level in the overflow constantly rises and falls, and I’m sure it’s not supposed to do that. What is causing this, and how do I go about making it a steadier flow and make it quieter?

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Install a valve going to your sump, or slow down the return pump power. I experienced the same thing... another thing that can help it to make the breathin hole on top of the pipe larger

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see in the video very well, so I'm going to assume you only have one drain line. Most often the cause is there's not enough air coming down. So what happens if your water is going down and it goes into a full siphon, it's trying to suck more air then it can handle, it stops the siphon and then your water level will rise back up.
It looks like you have a cap on that drain with a small hole. Basically what you need to do is make that hole bigger. When I've done in the past it's just go the next size drill try it. If it's still doing it go to the next size drill so on so forth.

Now if you really want a super quiet drain that is safer, I would pull your return out of there and fling it over the back of the tank. Use that hole as a emergency drain. Put a gate valve on the main drain.

This is called a Herbie. Do a search and we can guide you if you have questions.

Screenshot_20210110-183739_Photos.jpg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Install a valve going to your sump, or slow down the return pump power. I experienced the same thing... another thing that can help it to make the breathin hole on top of the pipe larger
If he has 1 drain, a valve is a very bad idea. It will one day flood.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go link. I would say this should answer you questions.

As far as video posting, I have found with much success wot up load videos to YouTube and post the link here to the video.

OP
OP
M

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips everyone, including the tip about uploading videos. I’ll start by slowing down the return, see what it does there, and then I’ll drill that hole a little bigger.

and yes, it is single drain, one return. I have actually debated changing this to a herbie to add the emergency drain and bringing the return over the top of the tank. I will report back once I’ve given this a shot

OP
OP
M

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok turning the speed down on my return pretty much eliminated the surging/flushing noise, and the water level in the overflow is staying pretty much steady. All the noise now is coming from the drain into the sump. Any recommendations on that?

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
ok turning the speed down on my return pretty much eliminated the surging/flushing noise, and the water level in the overflow is staying pretty much steady. All the noise now is coming from the drain into the sump. Any recommendations on that?

are you using a filter sock? how is the sump setup for the drain pipe?

OP
OP
M

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now I’m happy and frustrated at the same time. I got this setup from a friend who just wanted to get rid of it, and it has been noisy since I got it going almost 8-10 months ago. Never though to turn the speed down, and now the overflow is almost silent.

yea it has filter socks, which were not allowing any flow from being clogged so I had pulled one up a little to allow water to flow through it. I work from home and finally got so irritated with it to actually look into it. After I slowed the return down and cleaned the socks, it’s almost silent now. I’m so mad I waited so long to figure this out, but it is FINALLY quiet in my office.

thanks everyone!!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Same deal, need air.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back