Help me choose a t5 ballast

  • Thread starter Thread starter Velcro
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2016
Messages
3,276
Reaction score
3,098
Location
Kalamazoo, MI
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i want to add some 24" t5 to my setup. I have space for three bulbs/reflectors. The icecap and workhorse ballasts Come to mind for three bulbs, but both have their issues. The icecap overdrives the bulbs which reduces life. The work horse is instant start and doesn't have end of life protection so possibly is a safety concern.

Is there a ballast that is program start with end of life protection that could power 3 24" bulbs? Or is there a ballast that can just do one bulb and I can use an HEP ballast for the other two bulbs?
 
Hey @Velcro, I moved your thread to the lighting forum bc I'm hoping maybe it will get better help here. Also, I'll tag the #reefsquad. Some of those guys are a lot more knowledgable than I am on ballast brands. Based on my limited knowledge, I've been more inclined towards the workhorse ballasts.
 
Hey @Velcro, I moved your thread to the lighting forum bc I'm hoping maybe it will get better help here. Also, I'll tag the #reefsquad. Some of those guys are a lot more knowledgable than I am on ballast brands. Based on my limited knowledge, I've been more inclined towards the workhorse ballasts.
Hey, thanks. I appreciate that. I actually decided (if I end up adding t5 to my setup) that I will use the fullham racehorse ballasts. They are the higher end version of the workhorse ballasts and have programmed start/end of life protection and can run 1 or 2 bulbs each.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new