Help me choose a UV filter

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting on the arrival of a 150 gallon tank. I want to run a UV filter on it for clear water and maybe some parasite or bacteria help, depending on the flow I send to it.

My primary choices are the 40 watt pentair and the 40 watt ice cap filters:

The ice cap is smaller and cheaper but seems to have the same filtering strength. I'm kind of wondering why anybody would choose anything else. Do you have any good reasons to go with one over the other?

1681250237240.png

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running a 25 watt aqua uv on my 120 but recently upgraded it to a 57 watt since the bulbs are the same length. Just had to buy the 57 watt ballast and bulb and fit perfectly into the 25 watt body.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say pentair, but there are too many negative reviews. I've got an 57 watt aqua uv, but they are insanely expensive for basically a pvc tube. I would try to find a used one unless money is not an issue. Take a look at bulb cost. You will need a new one every year. I found a generic bulb for the aqua uv on amazon. Otherwise, the bulbs can be ridiculously expensive.

OP
OP
vanguard

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at bulb cost. You will need a new one every year.
Thanks for the good advice.

It's $40 vs $75. Neither of those is TOO bad considering the overall cost of the hobby but it still leaves me wondering why anybody would get something other than the IceCap?

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id go for the Pentair unless you have space issues.

Ive used AquaUV (had a single then a daul 57w) as well as Pentair( had a 40w, made a broken 40w into an 80w, and had a 150w).

Both brands have bad reviews. I can say over the last 15 years I never had an issue with any of them.

I would also advice against "cheap" bulbs. UVs are the one thing that no one can test and compare like we can with other lights and PAR meters. You simply have no idea if the off brand bulb is producing the same amount of light or if its even the right wavelength.

Also look at radiation vs flow rates to make sure youre getting what you want out of your UV. For example the dual 57w AquaUV needs 150 gph to be effective with ich.

Back