help me choose skimmer

  • Thread starter Thread starter MOPAR
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MOPAR

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 20, 2015
Messages
223
Reaction score
142
Location
Chico, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone

I'm looking to potentially buy a new skimmer, but not sure if I should or which is the best option. My system is around 50g with medium bio-load and is zoa dominant. I currently have a Reef octopus diablo xs 160 and I seems it may be overkill for my system and it is quite loud. I bought the skimmer knowing it's potential and know it would pull better skim on a larger system.

So here is my list tell me your opinions please. I prefer the space savers, but not 100% needed. Also if there is a better option let me know. All get good reviews as far as I could tell and pricing is similar $320-200.

Super reef octopus sro 1000int
Super reef octopus classic 152s (looks awesome)

Skimz sn123 d-series (dc pump)
Skimz sm121 monzter e-series
Skimz sk181 kone e-series

Vertex omega 130

Aquamaxx co1
 
Last edited:
I looked at the vertex and the octopus and found better reviews for a aqua max c01 and its quiet and works awesome easy to adjust to.
 
I totally forgot about the co1. Thanks for bringing it up. I remember seeing great reviews for it. Added to the list!
 
I had about the same size gallons and used a reef octopus classic 110-INT. Pulled really good skim and very easy to adjust. Got it brand new for $190 so definitely in price range also. Not a space saver model but still isn't big and works very well. Rated for 100g. I've seen all really good reviews and I would agree with them. Quiet also.
I had it in a Zoa and Macro tank with medium bio load.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new