Help me choose a nano skimmer

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are also Chinese knockoffs with the same design at half the price on AliExpress.
I had one and I snapped the drain line glass bit off while cleaning, not a good match for clumsy reefers.
My authentic Japanese didn't break at the stem. But I do agree, They aren't made to throw around. They are however made.to clean nutrients from a reef tank. I've used the tunze, ice cap k1, even an old red sea prism. The Mame out performs all of those by a long long ways. However it could be because I've set the mame up better than the others.

Last edited:

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My authentic Japanese didn't break at the stem. But I do agree, They aren't made to throw around. They are however made.to clean nutrients from a reef tank. I've used the tunze, ice cap k1, even an old red sea prism. The Mame out performs all of those by a long long ways. However it could be because I've set the mame up better than the others.
Mine was also the authentic Japanese, but glass is glass.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran airstone skimmers for years with zero issues.
I run Tunze on my larger systems and I tried the 9001 and its not anything like their 9400 series.

So on my 20g nano I run an air driven skimmer. I need to get a different cup but you can make one for any size nano system for cheap.
You dont need clear pvc. I used it as I had it laying around.
Skims wet or dry just adjust the air volume.

You only need an adjustable air pump some air line and a air stone.

Just another option for anyone wanting a simple inexpensive skimmer design that works.
20230310_133512.jpg
20230401_134455.jpg

20230404_082621.jpg

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only nano sized protein skimmer that i've ever tried that actually works...almost too well for a nano skimmer honestly.

I bought this skimmer and it is awesome... 2 days later I bought another one for my second nano. they are by far the best nano skimmers I have had.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the sound of the BM mini q. Its also half the price (or less!) of other options im looking at. Only trouble is... I cant find it in stock anywhere in the uk right now.
AliExpress sells the same skimmer but under a different name. Try doing a quick search on protein skimmers and I'm sure you'll find it pretty quickly.

As for the other fellow that was saying that he can't get his BM to skim dry, that's because he hasn't set it up correctly. The skimmers will take about a week to dial in and the biggest thing is is finding the correct water level and as long as it's a consistent level all you need to do is adjust the water flow and then you will get any type of skin that you desire.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
highly recommend against any airstone driven skimmers. They are a pain to keep up with maintenance. If you are going to spend over $100 on a skimmer, get a proper one.
Yeah wood air skimmers work great if you don't mind swapping out the wood Stone all the time. They give off extremely tiny air bubbles but that doesn't last for too long as nutrients absorb into the wood and start creating larger than desirable bubbles.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those running the BM mini-q... Hows it sound? The tank is running in my bedroom and i would like to be able to run the skimmer 24/7 without it keeping me up when trying to get to sleep! Skimmers tend to make the most noise but ive found some to be much quieter than others. Is it noisy?

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For those running the BM mini-q... Hows it sound? The tank is running in my bedroom and i would like to be able to run the skimmer 24/7 without it keeping me up when trying to get to sleep! Skimmers tend to make the most noise but ive found some to be much quieter than others. Is it noisy?
Mine is surprisingly quiet compared to other skimmers that I've had. It's not dead silent, but it's not a loud bothersome sound either.

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is surprisingly quiet compared to other skimmers that I've had. It's not dead silent, but it's not a loud bothersome sound either.
Agreed. Mine can be heard if you are in the front of the tank. Otherwise the noise just mixes with other background noises.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info everyone, I just put my IM Fusion 15 on line last night. Decision Decision's

scottkoji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with those above. Its a slight hum but nothing that would keep me up and i'm a light sleeper.

nvcheeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv Had Tunze 9001 tried multiple skimmers Which didnt fit, I think the MAME i got the Ali one and My tank never looked so good i have it plummed through CO2 Media Too. Gives you plenty of Room for stuff in back.

immo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a reef glass, bought it used on here. I don't have any complaints with it (running it on a deskmate). I haven't had any issues with keeping it running or anything. I run it wet, and clean the body out every week or two.

JJT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to find the best skimmer option for my red sea desktop pennisula (90L).

Features im interested in:

Silence
Reliability
Capable of a skim that is on the drier side

So far skimmers i have looked at are:

Tunze comline DOC 9001

Red sea desktop skimmer (the one designed for the tank)

TMC Reef Skim 100 nano DC

The logical decision would be to get the red sea desktop skimmer designed for this tank specifically but i cant find any feedback or reviews on it. I also bought the red sea (sicce) circulation pump for this tank and found that it was VERY loud. So im weary of red seas equipment for this tank. If anyone could let me know their experience with the red sea desktop skimmer that would be good.

Whats the best option? Any other suggestions?
What is the space you have for a protein skimmer?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back