Help me choose a nano skimmer

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to find the best skimmer option for my red sea desktop pennisula (90L).

Features im interested in:

Silence
Reliability
Capable of a skim that is on the drier side

So far skimmers i have looked at are:

Tunze comline DOC 9001

Red sea desktop skimmer (the one designed for the tank)

TMC Reef Skim 100 nano DC

The logical decision would be to get the red sea desktop skimmer designed for this tank specifically but i cant find any feedback or reviews on it. I also bought the red sea (sicce) circulation pump for this tank and found that it was VERY loud. So im weary of red seas equipment for this tank. If anyone could let me know their experience with the red sea desktop skimmer that would be good.

Whats the best option? Any other suggestions?

scottkoji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to find the best skimmer option for my red sea desktop pennisula (90L).

Silence
Reliability

Tunze comline DOC 9001

The logical decision would be to get the red sea desktop skimmer designed for this tank specifically but i cant find any feedback or reviews on it. I also bought the red sea (sicce) circulation pump for this tank and found that it was VERY loud. So im weary of red seas equipment for this tank. If anyone could let me know their experience with the red sea desktop skimmer that would be good.

the only nano sized protein skimmer that i've ever tried that actually works...almost too well for a nano skimmer honestly.

tinyfellows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are handy I got magtool nano skimmer and shaved the body down with a dremel then put an dc pump on it and it does an amazing job. I did this for a water box so not sure on your chamber dimensions. But if you plan to have other things in your chamber I wouldn’t go this route as it takes up a lot of space. But I pull out some serious funk

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the bubble magus nano skimmers seem difficult to get in the UK... At least right now, out of stock at the places the do list it. Same for the icecap stuff unfortunately.

Can easily get tunze stuff though but they just look really small with tiny collection cups and foam chambers.

MountainManReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Silence
Reliability

Tunze comline DOC 9001

I am not sure about the smaller model, but I have been really pleased with my Icecap K1-50. Previously had a DC Tunze Doc 9012, this thing outperforms the Tunze, but may also just be sized better.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
the only nano sized protein skimmer that i've ever tried that actually works...almost too well for a nano skimmer honestly.

Does your MiniQ spit micro bubbles or has it ever flooded over?

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
no actually i haven't had any issues after the initial break in period
How long did it take yours to break in? I just bought one for my new tank and I'm not familiar with nano skimmers in general. Reading t he instructions it said that the skimmer would produce micro bubbles during the entire duration of use which I thought can't be true.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a Tunze 9004 compline and it’s really solid. My only complaint is that the cup is a bit small - but only because I’m lazy. It holds plenty, but I’m forgetful. So I’ve moved up to a cadline PL-50 knockoff and it’s still breaking it. It comes with a drain port on the cup as well so I could attach a gallon jug if I wanted. Quite so far and it’s beginning to pull just as dark of skimmate as the Tunze.

RZGreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Aquamaxx Bullet-1 HOB skimmer on my 13.5gal nano, running for about 8 or 9 months now. It's rated for up to 30 gallons. It was easy to connect the air intake to a DIY CO2 scrubber too. Skimmate is slightly on the wet side, but even then I only have to empty it out every other week, and have never had the collection cup overflow. It took a couple of weeks to break in before micro bubbles disappeared. Now when I wash it out, I get micro bubbles for just a few hours before they go away. I have it in my office space, about 5 feet from my desk, and while I do hear some noise I don't consider it obtrusive. The only thing I'd change would be to have a drain line, just in case, even though I've never had need for it. However, if it comes to it, I guess I could drill a small hole and rig something up easily enough if needed. I like that it's HOB rather than internal, and the pump only draws about 2.25w, so it's not heating the water much, if at all. Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone provide me with a video of their red sea nano skimmer working? It sounds like a good option since im running the tank its designed for but i have no idea how loud it is and that is quite a concern as i tried to use the red sea return pump and it was VERY loud...

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take yours to break in? I just bought one for my new tank and I'm not familiar with nano skimmers in general. Reading t he instructions it said that the skimmer would produce micro bubbles during the entire duration of use which I thought can't be true.
I use currently the BM mini Q and it works amazingly well. Such a small footprint and really nice quality feel to it versus some of those others on the market. Generally as long as you rinse it out really well and set it just above the water line that's marked on the body of the skimmer.

Power it on and dial in the water flow so that it is just at the very bottom of the neck of the skimmer chimney and keep an eye on it and within a few hours you should probably start seeing some skin working its way up the chimney. It will export some micro bubbles into the tank for the first couple days but as you dial in the flow and maintain the correct water height within the tank the micro bubbles will go away.

Another plus to the skimmer is it is dead silent!

Attachments

• 20230415_121125.jpg
    20230415_121125.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 161
OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use currently the BM mini Q and it works amazingly well. Such a small footprint and really nice quality feel to it versus some of those others on the market. Generally as long as you rinse it out really well and set it just above the water line that's marked on the body of the skimmer.

Power it on and dial in the water flow so that it is just at the very bottom of the neck of the skimmer chimney and keep an eye on it and within a few hours you should probably start seeing some skin working its way up the chimney. It will export some micro bubbles into the tank for the first couple days but as you dial in the flow and maintain the correct water height within the tank the micro bubbles will go away.

Another plus to the skimmer is it is dead silent!
I like the sound of the BM mini q. Its also half the price (or less!) of other options im looking at. Only trouble is... I cant find it in stock anywhere in the uk right now.

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have this too but it doesn’t skim dry.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a japanese Mame skimmer for years. Hand blown Japanese glass with a limewood air-stone on a small whisper pump with a drain line into a collection cup inside of my stand. They are very nice and work incredibly well so long as you do your part and keep your drain line free of clogs.

Here is a link to one on ebay. Worth every penny.

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a japanese Mame skimmer for years. Hand blown Japanese glass with a limewood air-stone on a small whisper pump with a drain line into a collection cup inside of my stand. They are very nice and work incredibly well so long as you do your part and keep your drain line free of clogs.

Here is a link to one on ebay. Not cheap. Worth every penny.
There are also Chinese knockoffs with the same design at half the price on AliExpress.
I had one and I snapped the drain line glass bit off while cleaning, not a good match for clumsy reefers.

Back