Skimmer upgrade debate

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some may know, I’m in the process of upgrading to a 210. I have an omega vertex 180i skimmer which I’m thinking might be a little too small for this system. I’m looking at the reef octopus skimmers but the biggest I can fit in my sump is any of the 200 series, specifically I’m interested in the regal and elite. Would it be worth going from the vertex 180 to a RO 200? Or possibly I modify the sump to accommodate a larger skimmer but I’d rather not. I’m also wondering if a bigger footprint would fit if the skimmer is turned 45 degrees. My skimmer section is 10.75” x 17.5”

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some may know, I’m in the process of upgrading to a 210. I have an omega vertex 180i skimmer which I’m thinking might be a little too small for this system. I’m looking at the reef octopus skimmers but the biggest I can fit in my sump is any of the 200 series, specifically I’m interested in the regal and elite. Would it be worth going from the vertex 180 to a RO 200? Or possibly I modify the sump to accommodate a larger skimmer but I’d rather not. I’m also wondering if a bigger footprint would fit if the skimmer is turned 45 degrees. My skimmer section is 10.75” x 17.5”
Are you set on it having to be in sump ?

external skimmer or recirculating have the capacity for larger volume systems but they essentially stand alone .
with a water supply and return to the sump
Easier maintenance but it’s out in plain sight .

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you set on it having to be in sump ?

external skimmer or recirculating have the capacity for larger volume systems but they essentially stand alone .
with a water supply and return to the sump
Easier maintenance but it’s out in plain sight .
That’s a good point. I actually hadn’t even considered that

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go external also assuming a larger sump is not an possibility. A 40g for a 210 does not leave a lot of room for water when the pump is off so you will have to make sure whatever in sump skimmer you choose operates well at low water levels so you can keep sump levels low..

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back