Skimmer upgrade debate

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jberge
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jberge

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 15, 2017
Messages
321
Reaction score
213
Location
Milford, New Jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some may know, I’m in the process of upgrading to a 210. I have an omega vertex 180i skimmer which I’m thinking might be a little too small for this system. I’m looking at the reef octopus skimmers but the biggest I can fit in my sump is any of the 200 series, specifically I’m interested in the regal and elite. Would it be worth going from the vertex 180 to a RO 200? Or possibly I modify the sump to accommodate a larger skimmer but I’d rather not. I’m also wondering if a bigger footprint would fit if the skimmer is turned 45 degrees. My skimmer section is 10.75” x 17.5”
 
As some may know, I’m in the process of upgrading to a 210. I have an omega vertex 180i skimmer which I’m thinking might be a little too small for this system. I’m looking at the reef octopus skimmers but the biggest I can fit in my sump is any of the 200 series, specifically I’m interested in the regal and elite. Would it be worth going from the vertex 180 to a RO 200? Or possibly I modify the sump to accommodate a larger skimmer but I’d rather not. I’m also wondering if a bigger footprint would fit if the skimmer is turned 45 degrees. My skimmer section is 10.75” x 17.5”
Are you set on it having to be in sump ?

external skimmer or recirculating have the capacity for larger volume systems but they essentially stand alone .
with a water supply and return to the sump
Easier maintenance but it’s out in plain sight .
 
Are you set on it having to be in sump ?

external skimmer or recirculating have the capacity for larger volume systems but they essentially stand alone .
with a water supply and return to the sump
Easier maintenance but it’s out in plain sight .
That’s a good point. I actually hadn’t even considered that
 
I would go external also assuming a larger sump is not an possibility. A 40g for a 210 does not leave a lot of room for water when the pump is off so you will have to make sure whatever in sump skimmer you choose operates well at low water levels so you can keep sump levels low..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new