Help Me Create a Fish List, Tangs

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am finally in the stages of building my dream tank, and I need guidance on how to go about owning tangs, and what can go in this tank.

This is going to be a mixed reef, and I want to have a lot of movement in the tank. I am starting to set up my Waterbox 220.6!

I really like tangs, and would like a good variety if possible, along with a couple of gobies, clownfish pair, yellow coris wrasse, and maybe another fish in the future, but I doubt this tank will be fully stocked until year 2.

My dream fish: Achilles Tang - but after doing some research, this tang in particular is not feasible in my aquarium seems like. Give and take! (Unless someone can clarify that it is acceptable to have an Achilles Tang in here). My list below is not what I am going to get if it doesn't work, but this is what my interests are:

Yellow Tang
Convict Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Kole Tang (this one is guaranteed, I have a friend that has one and it has outgrown his tank).
Purple Tang
Blonde Naso

Are all of these fish compatible, and which should be added first/last?

Thank you for your time.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you asking which tangs will work? You can easily have all of them in the same tank. Add convict and naso first, add yellow and purple together, and add the poweder blue as the last fish if possible.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you asking which tangs will work? You can easily have all of them in the same tank. Add convict and naso first, add yellow and purple together, and add the poweder blue as the last fish if possible.
Yes exactly, and what order just like you explained thank you! Do you think the Achilles tang would be too much ?

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes exactly, and what order just like you explained thank you! Do you think the Achilles tang would be too much ?
8 tangs is plenty realistic, but honestly Achilles don't have good record in 6 feet tanks. If you start with a smallish one than you have a decent chance of long term survivability, but achilles tangs can die at the drop of a dime.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 tangs is plenty realistic, but honestly Achilles don't have good record in 6 feet tanks. If you start with a smallish one than you have a decent chance of long term survivability, but achilles tangs can die at the drop of a dime.
Thank you! I think the Achilles would create more work than I already have, and should be left for a 300g tank in the future, maybe. In my list, I have 6 tangs listed - what other two would you recommend? I'm not really sure even if it is not a tang, what can go well in here with the group above?

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I think the Achilles would create more work than I already have, and should be left for a 300g tank in the future, maybe. In my list, I have 6 tangs listed - what other two would you recommend? I'm not really sure even if it is not a tang, what can go well in here with the group above?
Here's my list for a 180g (its a lot of fish, but my nutrients are kept on check)
Convict tang
Sailfin tang
Hippo tang
Scopas tang
Tomini tang
Powder blue tang
Yellow eye kole tang
Green filefish
Zebra dartfish x2
Green chromis x8
Striped blenny
Male and 2 female lyretail anthias
Adornatus fairy wrasse
Ruby head fairy wrasse
Melanarus wrasse
Candy hogfish
Niger triggerfish x2
Banggai cardinalfish x3
Pajama cardinalfish x2
Orchid dottyback x2
Mandarin dragonet
Engineer goby (over a foot long)
Royal gramma
Lawnmower blenny

I have very little agression. In fact, the only agression is the tomini tang fighting the kole tang, but i only added him as my last fish a couple days ago and I'm expecting it to turn out fine.

Personally, I would add a tomini and a sailfin to your list. Maybe a whitetail bristletooth instead of a tomini.
If i had more room for fish, which i clearly don't, I'd want some flasher wrasses and some more dartfish. Good luck!

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my list for a 180g (its a lot of fish, but my nutrients are kept on check)
Convict tang
Sailfin tang
Hippo tang
Scopas tang
Tomini tang
Powder blue tang
Yellow eye kole tang
Green filefish
Zebra dartfish x2
Green chromis x8
Striped blenny
Male and 2 female lyretail anthias
Adornatus fairy wrasse
Ruby head fairy wrasse
Melanarus wrasse
Candy hogfish
Niger triggerfish x2
Banggai cardinalfish x3
Pajama cardinalfish x2
Orchid dottyback x2
Mandarin dragonet
Engineer goby (over a foot long)
Royal gramma
Lawnmower blenny

I have very little agression. In fact, the only agression is the tomini tang fighting the kole tang, but i only added him as my last fish a couple days ago and I'm expecting it to turn out fine.

Personally, I would add a tomini and a sailfin to your list. Maybe a whitetail bristletooth instead of a tomini.
If i had more room for fish, which i clearly don't, I'd want some flasher wrasses and some more dartfish. Good luck!
Thank you! Tomini looks awesome, will keep researching.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is n=1, but my LFS has an Achilles in a six foot display tank that's been there for years, at least since 2017. Perfectly healthy.
How big is it? Tankmates?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is it? Tankmates?
It’s a 180 gallon. I don’t remember exactly (I can let you know when I visit next), but there’s definitely a purple tang, a flame angel, a pair of black ocellaris clowns, a yellow watchman, and a fox face. May be more smaller fish I haven’t seen.

It seems maybe 6-8 inches?

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a small shoal of Convicts to go with that Kole you are inheriting? That would be seriously unique and striking imo....just a thought....
That’s a great idea, like a shoal of convict tangs? Never thought of that

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The achilies is kind of a luck of the draw thing. You can get one and it can be bulletproof or you could kill 5 in a row trying to find that hardy one.

The purple and powder blue can be VERY aggressive. So can the achilies, you don't hear about it much but mine was absolutely viscous. The PB and the achilies are the two meanest tangs. So if you decide to get an achilies, skip the powder blue.

One last thing.. if you are not going to fully QT and treat every fish. You WILL regret it.

I didn't want to QT this group of anthias.... velvet.

I lost the following (all of which i had for more than 2 years).
Blonde naso
Scopas
Purple
Achilies
Gem
Desjardini

Lost almost $1,000 in fish from hastily adding 4 cheap fish.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The achilies is kind of a luck of the draw thing. You can get one and it can be bulletproof or you could kill 5 in a row trying to find that hardy one.

The purple and powder blue can be VERY aggressive. So can the achilies, you don't hear about it much but mine was absolutely viscous. The PB and the achilies are the two meanest tangs. So if you decide to get an achilies, skip the powder blue.

One last thing.. if you are not going to fully QT and treat every fish. You WILL regret it.

I didn't want to QT this group of anthias.... velvet.

I lost the following (all of which i had for more than 2 years).
Blonde naso
Scopas
Purple
Achilies
Gem
Desjardini

Lost almost $1,000 in fish from hastily adding 4 cheap fish.
Thank you!
Definitely 1000% for the quarantine tank, minimum 45 days for each fish, also getting UV sterilizer.
I lost all my fish in my nano once due to a royal gamma that had velvet, never again. Flatworms on acros, been through it all.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole Tang and Convict Tang in first.

Then Yellow.

Then Naso.

Then Purple.

Then Powder Blue.

Just my thoughts.
Purple and yellow should be added at the same time.

Also, add the tomini, that is if you get one, when you add the kole tang if possible.

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple and powder blue can be VERY aggressive.
Its funny that everyone said how aggressive Power Blue tang is. I have my over four years now. He /she is share a tank with Emperor Angel ( boss) Blonde Naso Tang, Hippo Tang, Sailfin Tang, 3 x Yellow Tang, 2 x Pyramid Butterfly ect... and I swear my Power Blue is a ***** cat compare to other included my clownfish

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to do 3 x Convict Tang like I did with the Yellow Tang but they did not make thru quarantine

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to do 3 x Convict Tang like I did with the Yellow Tang but they did not make thru quarantine
Convict tangs almost never survive copper qt as it kills the bacteria in their gut that is essential for digesting food. Convicts are weird like that.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back