Help me decide on new livestock

cmor1701d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for help/ideas on additional livestock for my 210 gallon SPS dominant tank.

Current inhabitants are:
Green Mandarin Dragonet
Royal Gramma
Flametail blenny
Powder Brown Tang

Currently in QT are (all medium sized):
Powder Blue tang
Sailfin tang
Foxface lo
Lawnmower Blenny (small)

Maxima Clam arriving tomorrow.
Several peppermint shrimp are in though I haven't seen them since they went in a week ago. They were all tiny when I got them so they're probably hiding in the rock. There's also a variety of snails and 2 brittle stars.

I'm looking to fill out the livestock with some medium sized fish for the top and middle of the tank.
So I need reef safe fish that won't decimate the pod population or bother the clam, shrimp, snails, etc.

Here's a list I put together so please comment, advise, and or put forth other choices. There are several listed that probably shouldn't be for one reason or another, but I'm looking for greater knowledge than I have.

Bangai Cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni) x2
Red Tail Cardinalfish (Apogon sp.)
Anthias such as...
Sunburst Anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus)
Orchid Dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani)
A. Percula Clown fish - pair (hosting in??)
Six Line Wrasse or other??
Possum Wrasse (Wetmorella albofasciata)
Springer Damsel (Chrysiptera springer)
Azure Damselfish (Chrysiptera hemicyanea)
Yellowtail Blue Damsel (Chrysiptera parasema) x3
Longnose Hawkfish (Oxycirrhites typus)
Firefish Goby (Nemateleotris magnifica)

I'm sure there's a ton of fish I haven't thought about too so let's hear your favorites that meet the criteria.

I'm trying to keep the cost of individual fish to under $100 each, though that might not be possible for some.

Thank you all for your time and advice.

PXL_20230211_220558475.jpg

Phil Steel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be weary of the 6 line if you decide to add inverts. Orchard dottyback is a pesky little fella in my opinion - alternatives could be the black cap basslet if you want full purple.

Aggression wise, add the damsels last and you should be good to go!

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for help/ideas on additional livestock for my 210 gallon SPS dominant tank.

Current inhabitants are:
Green Mandarin Dragonet
Royal Gramma
Flametail blenny
Powder Brown Tang

Currently in QT are (all medium sized):
Powder Blue tang
Sailfin tang
Foxface lo
Lawnmower Blenny (small)

Maxima Clam arriving tomorrow.
Several peppermint shrimp are in though I haven't seen them since they went in a week ago. They were all tiny when I got them so they're probably hiding in the rock. There's also a variety of snails and 2 brittle stars.

I'm looking to fill out the livestock with some medium sized fish for the top and middle of the tank.
So I need reef safe fish that won't decimate the pod population or bother the clam, shrimp, snails, etc.

Here's a list I put together so please comment, advise, and or put forth other choices. There are several listed that probably shouldn't be for one reason or another, but I'm looking for greater knowledge than I have.

Bangai Cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni) x2
Red Tail Cardinalfish (Apogon sp.)
Anthias such as...
Sunburst Anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus)
Orchid Dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani)
A. Percula Clown fish - pair (hosting in??)
Six Line Wrasse or other??
Possum Wrasse (Wetmorella albofasciata)
Springer Damsel (Chrysiptera springer)
Azure Damselfish (Chrysiptera hemicyanea)
Yellowtail Blue Damsel (Chrysiptera parasema) x3
Longnose Hawkfish (Oxycirrhites typus)
Firefish Goby (Nemateleotris magnifica)

I'm sure there's a ton of fish I haven't thought about too so let's hear your favorites that meet the criteria.

I'm trying to keep the cost of individual fish to under $100 each, though that might not be possible for some.

Thank you all for your time and advice.

PXL_20230211_220558475.jpg
1. damsels: I would only go with the springers. I have 2 in the house and 2 in the garage. super mellow. Beautiful color and they eat flatworms. All other damsels I have had...another story. Pure evil
2. I agree sixline can be an issue. Mine was really mean like many before me. Maybe a nice fairy wrasse? Not sure how much they eat pods but they are mellow otherwise.
3. Bangai are great. Just be sure to feed them mysis.
4. A clown pair are always great.
5. Never had anthias but would like to some day. I have had success with green chromis 3 at a time (so far).
The bangai, fairy, and anthias/chromis will tend to be out swimming a lot. Mine always are.
Good luck deciding. FYI those powders are not going to be nice to anything you add. You may need to add a lot all at once to avoid issues. Never had powders so will have to defer to those that have.

OP
OP
cmor1701d

cmor1701d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be weary of the 6 line if you decide to add inverts. Orchard dottyback is a pesky little fella in my opinion - alternatives could be the black cap basslet if you want full purple.

Aggression wise, add the damsels last and you should be good to go!
Thanks for the advice. The 6 line or any wrasse I think is problematic in this tank. Interesting take in the Dottyback. I'll definitely look at the black cap. And yes, I was planning on adding the damsels last.

OP
OP
cmor1701d

cmor1701d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. damsels: I would only go with the springers. I have 2 in the house and 2 in the garage. super mellow. Beautiful color and they eat flatworms. All other damsels I have had...another story. Pure evil
2. I agree sixline can be an issue. Mine was really mean like many before me. Maybe a nice fairy wrasse? Not sure how much they eat pods but they are mellow otherwise.
3. Bangai are great. Just be sure to feed them mysis.
4. A clown pair are always great.
5. Never had anthias but would like to some day. I have had success with green chromis 3 at a time (so far).
The bangai, fairy, and anthias/chromis will tend to be out swimming a lot. Mine always are.
Good luck deciding. FYI those powders are not going to be nice to anything you add. You may need to add a lot all at once to avoid issues. Never had powders so will have to defer to those that have.
Good advice. Agree on the Damselfish in general. Planning on adding these last.
My previous pair of clowns finally started producing eggs around year 4 or 5. I had an anemone in that tank but won't get another. So I'm looking for something that they can host in.

I would love to get a few anthias but not sure what they'll do to the pod population.

And yes, I'm looking for some fish that will be cruising around the tank.

The QT tank will be running so any bully can go to the corner for a while and come back as the new guy.

Thanks for your help

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back