Help me kill some pally’s

Cliff717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went thru a spell a couple years ago where nothing seemed to survive and honestly I did not have the time to maintain it properly. So I put a pile of filler corals in the tank; pallys softies and Zoas. Now that the tank is back in order and the sps have taken off I have some pest pallys that are growing everywhere! I have captain jerks Pineapple Express and a unknown mint pally growing like weeds. What is the best way too kill them off? It’s a 250 gallon display with prob hundreds of pallys too kill :(
9A9AA4B6-2A75-4A81-9368-8B5F80A297A0.jpeg
0DD9615E-6238-47E1-BA4C-6B129836E252.jpeg

OP
OP
Cliff717

Cliff717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am from southern Ontario. Problem is most of these have attached themselves right too my rock work and are impossible too remove. Ones that I did get off went in the garbage or too fellow reefers. I know it sucks too kill them but they are chocking out very expensive sticks lol

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not impossible. You can do little by little.
Do it by hand scraping them sideways from the rocks with a sharp knife and siphoning at the same time to a shark bag whn you do water changes. That is the safest way to do it! Eventually they will be all gone.
Make sure you use carbon in a bag and gloves through the process.

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have those mint colored zoas, and they seem to overtake any other kind of zoa. I have the same issue. You can try Aptasia-x.. well I don't condone killing corals, this stuff can be used and does work. Lemon juice works just as well imo.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw a kleins butterfly in there, they love to eat palythoas, warning though, they will also pick/eat other coral, but prefer zoas and palys especially.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same problem. 1000s of these freaking things. I have been using franks tanks F-aptasia. Seems to be the only thing that works but there will be collateral damage. I have also scraped, brushed siphoned- mechanical removal only causes the bits to spread and they all regrow. Injection with hot kalk, didn’t work, majano wand didn’t work. These things are ruthless (mint greenies). I’m about to try an aiptasia eating file fish, may try the Klein’s butterfly but those are all huge risks as I have 5 clams, two of which are a decade old along with a hundred sps. So the potential side affects could be disastrous. Good luck!!

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will they eat my SPS

I cant tell you for sure what a particular fish will or will not do, I can only share my experience.
Added a kleins butterfly to a clients tank for majano control, which it gobbled those up like crazy, but then started devouring zoas and real palys, both ugly brown P. mutukis and sadly a small colony of purple deaths which I believe are P. toxica / p. heliodiscs.

I yanked it after all the zoas and palys were gone as it started picking at the clients LPS coral, this particular tank only sps's was montipora and it seemed to leave those alone, no idea what it would do with acropora though.

That's just been my experience with kliens

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What has worked for me is using a credit card, or other rigid card, hold it flat against the glass and slide down to remove the palys in a straight line. The palys get annoyed but don't really get damaged. I have not had an issue with them secreting anything this way. What were not on a flat surface, I made a thick kalk slurry and gently added some to each head. Shriveled up and died within a couple of days.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn’t happen to still have that exact fish would you? I’m in Tampa and would love to buy/ rent it from you!!
I cant tell you for sure what a particular fish will or will not do, I can only share my experience.
Added a kleins butterfly to a clients tank for majano control, which it gobbled those up like crazy, but then started devouring zoas and real palys, both ugly brown P. mutukis and sadly a small colony of purple deaths which I believe are P. toxica / p. heliodiscs.

I yanked it after all the zoas and palys were gone as it started picking at the clients LPS coral, this particular tank only sps's was montipora and it seemed to leave those alone, no idea what it would do with acropora though.

That's just been my experience with kliens

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, well I’m buying both fish Kleini and tomentosus file, as we speak, this is war!
Ill get them tomorrow and condition them in my sump to eat these zoanthids. I’ll report my findings and or frustration!

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back