Help me make my sump great again

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a used sump. The return section is tiny (around 3" wide). Most pumps are over 4" wide so I need to do something. Any ideas on how I can fix it? Can I remove that small baffle to the right? Or should I switch the pump location to where the sock holders are?

IMG_20170524_193929_zps6oha8dir.jpg

IMG_20170524_194022_zpsvnhyc0na.jpg

IMG_20170524_194033_zps8bo12pv1.jpg

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, as big mentioned, drill for an external pump. You may be able to shift the baffles for the 3rd chamber over to the left and reset them if you do not want to drill. The pump has to go in that last chamber regardless.

OP
OP
mlivvy

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered an external pump but really wanted to use a jebao dc. What would happen if I remove that last baffle?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pump have you chosen or have?

Acrylic is easier to drill and safer. Most all internals today can be converted to external pumps.

Installing the pump externally also leave more water volume in the return section.

How big is your tank?

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't take this in a bad way but just asking why didn't you buy a larger sump? or a sump that's going to fit your needs? I has someone who wanted to sell me the eshopps 200 sump for pretty cheap but I turned it down cause I wanted the extra space from a sump I will be building. this way I know exactly how much space I will need for everything

OP
OP
mlivvy

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run the jebao external.

I've read in the past that it wasn't meant to be ran external. Some had leaks. Don't know about the newer models.

What pump have you chosen or have?

Acrylic is easier to drill and safer. Most all internals today can be converted to external pumps.

Installing the pump externally also leave more water volume in the return section.

How big is your tank?

I'm leaning towards a Jebao DCP-5000. Tank is currently being built. It's around 45 gallons.

Don't take this in a bad way but just asking why didn't you buy a larger sump? or a sump that's going to fit your needs? I has someone who wanted to sell me the eshopps 200 sump for pretty cheap but I turned it down cause I wanted the extra space from a sump I will be building. this way I know exactly how much space I will need for everything

It looked perfect to me until I got home and realized the return section was so small. :(

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back