Help me not kill an elegance!?!?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have only ever had one elegance coral. . . it limped along for months and died after a tank move. . . seeing as this is a favorite coral of mine I was pretty upset. Since then I have been hesitant to try again, BUT I am placing a coral order and saw one on a great sale so I decided to try again.

Any tips and tricks I should know?

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 2 dinner plate size Elegance corals in my reef for years. First, I’d suggest you order an Aussie one instead of an Indonesian one. The Aussie versions have a much better track record of survival.

Mine are at opposite corners of the tank, on the sand bed and in lower light and pretty good flow. I actually believe they do better in enough random, indirect flow to move their tentacles a good bit.

No need to target feed but they do seem to appreciate the occasional broadcast feeding of zooplankton. I give all my corals an iodine dip when they first come in, and Elegance corals that aren’t doing well usually respond nicely to them.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

• I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Other.

Back