2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I need a RODI unit
It’s for my 25g reef tank.
I couldn’t find anything better $ than the Aquatic life 50g four stage.
Any other recommendations that is budget friendly?
Thanks in advance!

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to pay rock bottom price for such a fundamental piece of gear isn't going to save you money in the long term.

The aquatic life cartridges are smaller (last less time) and more expensive than standard RODI cartridges.

I'd go with a BRS value 4 stage if your city doesn't use chloramines or have unusually hard or dirty water.

Do you know the TDS of your tap water and how your city treats it?

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trying to pay rock bottom price for such a fundamental piece of gear isn't going to save you money in the long term.

The aquatic life cartridges are smaller (last less time) and more expensive than standard RODI cartridges.

I'd go with a BRS value 4 stage if your city doesn't use chloramines or have unusually hard or dirty water.

Do you know the TDS of your tap water and how your city treats it?

Is this a sufficient system regardless of money you have to spend? I have 160g but only go though 15gal every 2 weeks for topoff and when I clean my sand.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on what W1ngz said. I got the Aquatic Life twist in unit and regretted it. I ended up getting a proper RODI like what BRS sells. The universal filters are cheaper in the long run.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally IMO there are pieces of equipment that matter and others not so much.

A quality RO/DI is the one part that is critical to your aquarium.
I would not settle for avarage here.
It must have a TDS meter as well.

There are many units to look at.
My prefrence is BRS units.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks guys. I think I'll go with the 4 stage BRS and the value kit upgrade with flow meter and TDS meter. I will also get a solenoid to automate the procedure. Thanks for the recommendations and thank you OP for the post.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I think I'll go with the 4 stage BRS and the value kit upgrade with flow meter and TDS meter. I will also get a solenoid to automate the procedure. Thanks for the recommendations and thank you OP for the post.

Whats your intention for the valve? ATO?
Thats a risk I have never wanted to take.

If your going to upgrade the value unit just go for the 7 stage.
In the end you will upgrade to that anyway.
YMMV

longtimereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truthfully, a simple 4 stage RO/DI unit with 50gpd or so (I run a 90gpd with a booster pump) is plenty. I run a Clear for life or something like that. Ones with tons of stages etc don't do anything for you, just cost a ton more, make sure you get a 2 channel TDS meter and as long as your output is 0, then anything you buy is fine. Don't get sold on more money is better, im not an expert, but been in the hobby over 25 years now and 0 TDS is all you need, running 3 more stages to get 0 TDS is doing nothing but spending tons extra.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truthfully, a simple 4 stage RO/DI unit with 50gpd or so (I run a 90gpd with a booster pump) is plenty. I run a Clear for life or something like that. Ones with tons of stages etc don't do anything for you, just cost a ton more, make sure you get a 2 channel TDS meter and as long as your output is 0, then anything you buy is fine. Don't get sold on more money is better, im not an expert, but been in the hobby over 25 years now and 0 TDS is all you need, running 3 more stages to get 0 TDS is doing nothing but spending tons extra.

depends on your starting TDS .... my TDS is 600+ out of the faucet ... actually the extra stages save me $$$ ...I also remember my bad water inside the election booth

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, Stop. Take some hard earned advice. There is no one perfect RODI system to solve your water issues.

1. Get a copy of the water report for your water. These can usually be downloaded from your water companies website or city website.
2. Read the water report, learn about what you are reading as much as you can.
3. With that report in hand call Spectrapure, BRS or any other company that sells kits made for aquariums. There are many.
4. Speak to a knowledgeable person and have them guide you toward the system appropriate for your water quality.

The price will vary depending on your needs. Not some generic system that may or may not do the job. By doing this you are setting yourself up for success in this hobby. Water and salt are the two main components that will make or break a person from the very beginning. Get these two right from the start.

Ewok1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I need a RODI unit
It’s for my 25g reef tank.
I couldn’t find anything better $ than the Aquatic life 50g four stage.
Any other recommendations that is budget friendly?
Thanks in advance!
I use Aquatic Life Twist-In 100 GPD 4-Stage RO/DI System. It’s great I get 0 TDS reading. It’s like $130

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, Stop. Take some hard earned advice. There is no one perfect RODI system to solve your water issues.

1. Get a copy of the water report for your water. These can usually be downloaded from your water companies website or city website.
3. With that report in hand call Spectrapure, BRS or any other company that sells kits made for aquariums. There are many.
4. Speak to a knowledgeable person and have them guide you toward the system appropriate for your water quality.

The price will vary depending on your needs. Not some generic system that may or may not do the job. By doing this you are setting yourself up for success in this hobby. Water and salt are the two main components that will make or break a person from the very beginning. Get these two right from the start.

EXACTLY....

ejl2529

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend the Koolermax AR-122. It does between 90-120 gph 6 stage. It is pretty afforadable, only about 135$. It does not come with a built in tds meter but one can be easily added for around 20$.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This.

Without knowing the quality of your water there is no way to recommend a system for you.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whats your intention for the valve? ATO?
Thats a risk I have never wanted to take.

If your going to upgrade the value unit just go for the 7 stage.
In the end you will upgrade to that anyway.
YMMV

I see your point. I too like to cut to the chase and buy it right the first time. At this point, it's going in my main level's bathroom. I'll mount the 4 stage under the sink and run the line into the tub with a 50gal rubbermaid trash can. I'll mix 20g at a time right next to it. The sylenoid will be attached to the float switch on the 50g. I only go through 2gal a week in top off and with a 150gal tank+sump I dont even go through 10gal salt every other week when I clean the sand.

I would love to have a 7stage in the basement doing auto water changes and all that jazz, but my teenagers are down there and they use up all 1600sq of that basement. This is just a simple setup. I dont believe in all the dosing, reactors, 20% weekly water change business. 10+ years without it has made me a firm believer in my minimalist method.

Back