RODI System Issue

Hellyeah04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am absolutely new to all this, just purchased a Red Sea 200 XL G2, 2 weeks ago.

So the issue that I am having is with the RODI System its a AQUATICLIFE Aquatic Life RO Buddie Plus DI Four Stage Reverse Osmosis Deionization Unit 50 GPD

I have attached a diagram of how they want the ASO installed via a Youtube video they have online.

But when the Float Valve closes there is ALOT of back pressure, when the float valve releases you can hear the pressure being released and it leaks slightly.

Any ideas would be a great help

Thank you in advance

71umwHox31L._AC_SL1500_.jpg Untitled.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic Life has a new configuration for the solenoid when you may have lower water pressure than is ideal. Look for an updated PDF manual on their website as this may help.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does it leak from? Seems like normal operation when ro is connected directly to a float valve, as is mine. Sometimes it makes the ro unit make noises also. May seem like its leaking @ the float, this may be because its moving around in flow of wated. If so, it will maintain a steady level. That said, I'm currently setting up a reservoir system to make large batches of water less occasionally, rather then small trickles constantly. Look up tds creep, save yourself the headache later.

OP
OP
H

Hellyeah04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does it leak from? Seems like normal operation when ro is connected directly to a float valve, as is mine. Sometimes it makes the ro unit make noises also. May seem like its leaking @ the float, this may be because its moving around in flow of wated. If so, it will maintain a steady level. That said, I'm currently setting up a reservoir system to make large batches of water less occasionally, rather then small trickles constantly. Look up tds creep, save yourself the headache later.
Ok, so I reconnected everything and there are no leaks. BUT when the float goes up.. there is still pressure in the system and the ASO isn't turning off flow to the system (I think).

Because when I manually drop the float you hear all the pressured water burst out of the float.

You hear the water constantly flowing inside the system. I am afraid that if I leave it unattended that something on the RODI will burst.

First RODI system ever, so I don't know how they are supposed to work

Thanks

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how it is. Rodi unit will keep running until it is full and at line pressure. Think about how when you fill a bucket, it comes out fast at first them slows down. That's the pressures it will build back up. The float will Bob with water flow, topping up along the way.

After re reading... is this a ato system or a line running from ro system directly to a float valve in sump?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUT when the float goes up.. there is still pressure in the system and the ASO isn't turning off flow to the system
Right. It's just stopping the flow into your container. It's not stopping anything coming into the rodi unit (if it's set up on the output)

OP
OP
H

Hellyeah04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how it is. Rodi unit will keep running until it is full and at line pressure. Think about how when you fill a bucket, it comes out fast at first them slows down. That's the pressures it will build back up. The float will Bob with water flow, topping up along the way.

After re reading... is this a ato system or a line running from ro system directly to a float valve in sump?
Ok, so I am using the RODI as a ATO system via the Float in the sump

The float is connected directly to the RODI outlet, when it goes down.. It fills my sump with the missing water needed

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I am using the RODI as a ATO system via the Float in the sump

The float is connected directly to the RODI outlet, when it goes down.. It fills my sump with the missing water needed
Eek! That's not a good way to do that... you'll start experiencing tds creep and possible catastrophe of overflowing your tank with rodi...

The rodi unit is not designed to cycle on and off throughout the day. It's ideal to fill up a container that can hold enough water for at least a week.

Do some research on TDS creep.

The other thing is you'll want to avoid having something fail and not stop topping off water.

And to answer your question about the auto shut off valve, think of it as your outside faucet, you turn off the flow through the hose by turning off the valve, but behind that valve there's still water and pressure. As a redundancy, people usually use that auto shut off valve as the 2nd line of defense while a solenoid connected before the ro membrane is used to control flow through the unit.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back