Which RODI unit should I get?

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at getting an RODI unit for my RedSea Reefer 170. It’s between the BRS 4 or 5 stage.

I’d like to be able to store this under the kitchen sink when not in use. And I’m wondering if I actually need the 5 stage.

My water: I have city water and from what I can tell it is treated with chloramines. Here’s a chart from my city’s water department with their water quality report.
IMG_1816.jpeg

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 stage. massively reduces water wastage and increases output due to the dual RO membranes. It's not all about the "capability" of the filter, but also about output and water wastage. you won't regret it.

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend the 5 stage. Just because you want to make sure the water is clean, unless you have a whole house filter system.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry I see there are also 4 stage units with dual RO membranes. either way I definitely recommend the "water saver" option for whatever you choose so you have dual RO membranes.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would want dual carbon block setup with the chloromines.

The best thing would be to call Russ @Buckeye Hydro with your water report and have him put together a system based on your water quality

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a system where there is active C/S people who will answer the phone if you have a problem or question.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at getting an RODI unit for my RedSea Reefer 170. It’s between the BRS 4 or 5 stage.

I’d like to be able to store this under the kitchen sink when not in use. And I’m wondering if I actually need the 5 stage.

My water: I have city water and from what I can tell it is treated with chloramines. Here’s a chart from my city’s water department with their water quality report.
IMG_1816.jpeg

Don't feel locked into buying a RODI system from an aquarium supplier.

Often they charge a premium just for sticking on a label with the word 'reef' in it.

You will find much cheaper and possibly better options with superior support if you look at water filter general suppliers such as those who supply drinking water systems.

I find they are often less than half the price with better technical support

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very happy with my BRS 6 Stage, I talked to one of the guys that does the Videos. Told him my problems with Iron and a Trace of Sulfur. Recommend the 6 Stage, but even suggested a cheaper 5 Stage and could add another stage to it. Gave me a Coupon Code, and told me to wait a week or two. As they were going on sale. I was a little taken aback when I could also use the coupon, on top of the sale. It included all the Hardware and then some to hook it up multiple ways. Later on I added a Strainer and a Booster Pump. Then added the 150 GPD.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried several brands and styles over the years. I get the best value out of the BRS units. Either the 4 or 5 stage will work for you. I would go with the 5 stage.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Last edited:

SnubbsDebolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just go all out? Hahaha! I went with the 7 stage 150gpd and added a 2.5 x 20” 5 micron prefilter and the 4.5 x 20” chloramine monster. Also added two faucets and pressure reservoirs for before and after the triple DI.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

IMG_1816.jpeg

Here is another option

I bought a 200gpd unit from this outlet and all it needed is a replacement 90 degree elbow which they sent free of charge.

OP
OP
Saluki2003

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input. I just ordered the BRS 5 stage 75 gallon.

The reefer 170 won’t require too much water being made so this will be plenty.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back