Help me save him!!!

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so long story short I’ve been through the ringer treating my true percula clownfish.... just when everything was going fine I lost 2 of my 4 just like that in qt...

Treatments I have used are listed in the picture... I used formalin and malachite green, initially for brooklynella... full doses seperated by morning and night.
That seemed to clear it up and the clowns lived another month eating healthy and well.

After being cleared from qt after 30 days... I noticed one clown getting mouth fungus.
They all hosted in a RBTA For about 3 weeks. Seeing this I pulled them all and they re entered QT. This is where things went hay wire. Rapid declines and what appears to be external parasites?!

All my other fish are doing absolutely perfect. I talked with my LFS and they are wild caught.... I’m not sure if that plays a role in this.
PLEASE HELP ME identify what I’m dealing with as I’m going to be treating the last 2 I have with the right meds.
I need to know what I’m dealing with and what to get! Thank you for reading, I figured a back story would be appropriate.

Right now to me it looks to be external parasites fungus and mild Popeye

20A0F9CE-3CA2-4019-BF69-CE813848669D.jpeg

4D1F61B9-4FC3-49A8-AE6C-0C747E0F8613.jpeg

B31ABC1A-151D-4623-9CF5-8B37B559AA35.jpeg

FEC49E80-8A27-44BF-AA8F-735F357160F0.jpeg

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so long story short I’ve been through the ringer treating my true percula clownfish.... just when everything was going fine I lost 2 of my 4 just like that in qt...

Treatments I have used are listed in the picture... I used formalin and malachite green, initially for brooklynella... full doses seperated by morning and night.
That seemed to clear it up and the clowns lived another month eating healthy and well.

After being cleared from qt after 30 days... I noticed one clown getting mouth fungus.
They all hosted in a RBTA For about 3 weeks. Seeing this I pulled them all and they re entered QT. This is where things went hay wire. Rapid declines and what appears to be external parasites?!

All my other fish are doing absolutely perfect. I talked with my LFS and they are wild caught.... I’m not sure if that plays a role in this.
PLEASE HELP ME identify what I’m dealing with as I’m going to be treating the last 2 I have with the right meds.
I need to know what I’m dealing with and what to get! Thank you for reading, I figured a back story would be appropriate.

Right now to me it looks to be external parasites fungus and mild Popeye

20A0F9CE-3CA2-4019-BF69-CE813848669D.jpeg

4D1F61B9-4FC3-49A8-AE6C-0C747E0F8613.jpeg

B31ABC1A-151D-4623-9CF5-8B37B559AA35.jpeg

FEC49E80-8A27-44BF-AA8F-735F357160F0.jpeg

Get some mysis and soak it in garlic from your lfs feed that and heat QT to 80degrees get gravity to 1.022 slowly and go from there. I had the same problem with my two clowns and my scopas tang all looked same as yours, and no one seemed to know what to do. So I did this treatment for 2 weeks and they have been perfect for almost a year now. Not saying it’s a perfect remedy but natural is way better than chemical. Good luck I hope they make it.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest treating with a cocktail of kanoplex, metroblex and focus to bind the meds to frozen food, feed the whole system. Also treat the food with vitamin C and B-12 to help with the immune systems and energy.

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say whole system, do you mean the display?
I would suggest treating with a cocktail of kanoplex, metroblex and focus to bind the meds to frozen food, feed the whole system. Also treat the food with vitamin C and B-12 to help with the immune systems and energy.
en

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a QT set up?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks just like that! Should I do freshwater dip first if it’s this?
If its lympho its a viral infection, and there isn't much that can be done about it other than keeping the fish fed and healthy otherwise. There isn't a cure to lympho.
From user Humblefish
Lymphocystis:

Symptoms - Lymphocystis appears as a white or beige colored cauliflower-like growth that usually starts on the fins and spines and sometimes spreads to the body. Initially it may be small (looks like ich), and then grows in size (which is how you know it’s not ich). Lympho is a virus that many fish carry for life. Fortunately, it is rarely fatal or even harmful to the fish, and symptoms will come and go.

Treatment options - No known cure or treatment exists. However, feeding vitamin-enriched foods and maintaining pristine water conditions may expedite the “going away” process.

More detailed info: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa181

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like lymphocystis to me. Even if it were, freshwater dips won't do anything as lympho is a virus. It looks like brook. You mentioned that you treated for brook with formalin; can you describe your treatment protocol? Brook can be difficult to eradicate, requiring multiple formalin dips. You also need to return the fish to a clean tank after each dip.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like lymphocystis to me. Even if it were, freshwater dips won't do anything as lympho is a virus. It looks like brook. You mentioned that you treated for brook with formalin; can you describe your treatment protocol? Brook can be difficult to eradicate, requiring multiple formalin dips. You also need to return the fish to a clean tank after each dip.

Okay so the treatment I did was this
Formalin and malachite green
10 gallon tank
10 drops morning 10 drops at night. So 20 drops total full dose.
5 gallon water changes daily for 15 days.
Total time in qt 20 days.
Fish all ate extremely well.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you let the DT go fallow for 6 weeks to starve out the Brook? If not you may have reintroduced the fish back into a tank still infected with Brook.

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you let the DT go fallow for 6 weeks to starve out the Brook? If not you may have reintroduced the fish back into a tank still infected with Brook.

My other fish are healthy healthy... I’m not convinced it’s brook. No heavy breathing no sliming, or changing in color. Not to say it’s not in my system but all fish should of caught it by now. There is one clown that is still in the DT that is spotless and showing no signs of any illness... as of now. Will most likely treat both.
Would Cipro be a wise move?!
I’m about to treat a blue carpet and wondered if I could just knock two birds out with one stone?

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back