Help me save him!!!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If these were my fish, I would do the following:

-Freshwater dip to eliminate or confirm flukes from the equation.
-Bathe the fish in Ruby Reef Rally for both its antiseptic quality and if it is Brook, the acriflavine in it will eliminate it. Repeat bath in a couple of days if needed.
-And then treat as Jsker suggested: "I would suggest treating with a cocktail of kanoplex, metroblex and focus to bind the meds to frozen food, feed the whole system. Also treat the food with vitamin C and B-12 to help with the immune systems and energy."
-Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If these were my fish, I would do the following:

-Freshwater dip to eliminate flukes from the equation.
-Bathe the fish in Ruby Reef Rally for both its antiseptic quality and if it is Brook, the acriflavine in it will eliminate it. Repeat bath in a couple of days if needed.
-And then treat as Jsker suggested: "I would suggest treating with a cocktail of kanoplex, metroblex and focus to bind the meds to frozen food, feed the whole system. Also treat the food with vitamin C and B-12 to help with the immune systems and energy."
-Hope this helps.
Thank you! I think this is exactly what I am going to do. So just being new to these meds how should I go about preparing the dips and baths?
Should I keep qt system free of meds and dips/ baths in a bucket?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I think this is exactly what I am going to do. So just being new to these meds how should I go about preparing the dips and baths?

Here are two very nice explanations with discussion on how to accomplish both by Meredith and Humblefish:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/video-how-to-do-a-freshwater-dip.286639/#post-3487082
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/acriflavine.282887/#post-3441660

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's best to do the freshwater dip in a dark bucket so if there are flukes you can easily see them coming off the fish at around 2-3 minutes into the dip. If flukes are present then treat with Prazipro or General Cure.

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's best to do the freshwater dip in a dark bucket so if there are flukes you can easily see them coming off the fish at around 2-3 minutes into the dip. If flukes are present then treat with Prazipro or General Cure.
So I did the dip... 2-3 white things came off but the bumps on the body that look like fungi or bacteria seemed to be unaffected. I also noticed shredded and torn fins.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the fw dip shows it may have a slight fluke situation. The fw dip will buy it some time. I would press on with the Ruby Reef Rally baths and begin the treatment Jsker suggested.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other fish are healthy healthy... I’m not convinced it’s brook. No heavy breathing no sliming, or changing in color. Not to say it’s not in my system but all fish should of caught it by now. There is one clown that is still in the DT that is spotless and showing no signs of any illness... as of now. Will most likely treat both.
Would Cipro be a wise move?!
I’m about to treat a blue carpet and wondered if I could just knock two birds out with one stone?
This only means that there aren’t other clowns in the tank, brook is often harbored by other fish without symptom, but will reinfect clowns upon return. You need to run the tank fallow to properly treat brook.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did the dip... 2-3 white things came off but the bumps on the body that look like fungi or bacteria seemed to be unaffected. I also noticed shredded and torn fins.
Does the mild pop eye you first mentioned look any different after the FW dip

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did the white things look like sesame seeds?

1459813183075-jpg.336939

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F5106232-BC51-4D02-9CA9-00FA9DD64128.jpeg
Did any of these bumps fall off?
None of these bumps fell off, I don’t see any sesame seed looking things... I was not able to find ruby rally today so I went with the things I could find. Will try this and see what happens!
Both fish in QT NOW,
The bumps however have turned white in color... so maybe they are dead now and will fall off?! The fish’s behavior and activity has improved.

7F49DD12-39EB-4080-AF2A-515595C24397.jpeg

26524D40-060B-4166-9F27-599D7E01B01F.jpeg

37517B5C-F3AA-43C3-9F3D-950FF130B288.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not such a good idea to mix Prazipro with other meds = bacterial bloom. Did it out of necessity myself not to long ago and the bloom was incredible. The fw dip you did will buy you the time you need. I'd treat with the metro and the focus that you have on hand first. Antibiotics are very slow in working their magic. Treat this first. Later you can treat the Prazipro.

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not such a good idea to mix Prazipro with other meds = bacterial bloom. Did it out of necessity myself not to long ago and the bloom was incredible. The fw dip you did will buy you the time you need. I'd treat with the metro and the focus that you have on hand first. Antibiotics are very slow in working their magic. Treat this first. Later you can treat the Prazipro.

Dang, really?
It says they can be used with other medicines! Good advice don’t want more bacteria!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, really?
It says they can be used with other medicines! Good advice don’t want more bacteria!
It's not really "bad" bacteria, it just turns the water kinda green and ugly. And then you need to add some more oxygen to the water.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if I were in your shoes I would treat in QT with this combination of meds: Kanaplex + Metroplex + Furan-2

Using all 3 will treat: Brook, uronema and a wide range of possible bacterial infections.

You could substitute API General Cure for Metroplex, and that will also treat flukes in lieu of Prazipro.

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if I were in your shoes I would treat in QT with this combination of meds: Kanaplex + Metroplex + Furan-2

Using all 3 will treat: Brook, uronema and a wide range of possible bacterial infections.

You could substitute API General Cure for Metroplex, and that will also treat flukes in lieu of Prazipro.

Before I got on here I treated the qt with prazi and saturated the food with metroplex, both clowns ate a good amount of it. Should I drain the qt tomorrow to remove the prazi?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Prazi is usually gone in 2 days anyway. Just keep an eye open for the bacterial bloom.

+1 But I would run carbon before dosing any other meds. The Oxybispropanol found in Prazipro remains active for >2 days, and that is what causes the interaction issues.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back