Help me save this Acan!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So the “lesions” have certainly worsened. ICP test results have not come back but my other inhabitants are happy and healthy so I’m not convinced it’s a water quality issue. I’ve kept and eye out for Sponges in and around the infected area over the past few days but have not seen any. This is pushing me to suspect a bacterial infection as ISpeakForTheSeas mentioned. Do you guys agree? How would I go about treating a bacterial infection like this? Peroxide dip perhaps?
7591F57B-9496-4654-997A-DE5ADABD8175.jpeg
B2A7292A-FD71-40D4-9E73-3532C125C04B.jpeg

Thanks for the help!
TM
I do not see any signs of a bacterial infection but rather recession. In part can be a result of bleaching from excess lighting but im very sure its based on insufficient calcium, damage from either fish or stinging and i hate say water - Either elevated Phosphate, temperature or drop in salinity. Assure refractometer is calibrated.
I dont believe I mentioned but this coral responds to Lugols iodine dip and would be worth a try. Should there be infection, iodine will address it also.

here is an Acan I got worse that yours (which yours is not terrible) and this is it now:

360g corals8.jpg

OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see any signs of a bacterial infection but rather recession. In part can be a result of bleaching from excess lighting but im very sure its based on insufficient calcium, damage from either fish or stinging and i hate say water - Either elevated Phosphate, temperature or drop in salinity. Assure refractometer is calibrated.
I dont believe I mentioned but this coral responds to Lugols iodine dip and would be worth a try. Should there be infection, iodine will address it also.

here is an Acan I got worse that yours (which yours is not terrible) and this is it now:

360g corals8.jpg
Good to hear it’s not bacterial! Salinity is good, just double checked. My temperature has been high (80 degrees) since I’ve been running an oversized UV, but it doesn’t fluctuate wildly. I did have a phosphate mishap when I was running my auto feeder and it dumped far too many pellets in. Caused my phosphate to spike from 0.08 to 0.20 but I think it was starting to recede before that. Lastly, my skunk cleaner shrimp does pick at it from time to time. I think he picked my Trachy to death.

Long story short, all of those seem plausible. I’ll give Lugols a try and keep you posted when the ICP comes in. Thanks a bunch!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Good to hear it’s not bacterial! Salinity is good, just double checked. My temperature has been high (80 degrees) since I’ve been running an oversized UV, but it doesn’t fluctuate wildly. I did have a phosphate mishap when I was running my auto feeder and it dumped far too many pellets in. Caused my phosphate to spike from 0.08 to 0.20 but I think it was starting to recede before that. Lastly, my skunk cleaner shrimp does pick at it from time to time. I think he picked my Trachy to death.

Long story short, all of those seem plausible. I’ll give Lugols a try and keep you posted when the ICP comes in. Thanks a bunch!
What I suspected occurred and great is that it was identified. Iodone will take up to 72 hours to show healing.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back