Help me spend my money

ChristineInMaryland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 over a 180. Also at the shop where my frag tanks are he has 3 hydra 32 over a 180. I am going for acro dominant on mine which is brand new. He has a mixed with acros at top. I have hydras and orphek over my frag tanks and he has noopsyche over his frags. I put light shields on mine because it is right beside my kitchen table. The hydras and reefi have the least side glare. I also would add I don’t love the shimmer on reefi but do love the shimmer on hydra.
When you say you “don’t love the shimmer” on the Reefi units, are you saying that they have shimmer but it’s ugly in some way (like the disco ball/tv static effect) or that they don’t have much shimmer?

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you “don’t love the shimmer” on the Reefi units, are you saying that they have shimmer but it’s ugly in some way (like the disco ball/tv static effect) or that they don’t have much shimmer?
It has shimmer, but It has some disco, not a lot like the orphek has but some.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I need help with recommending lighting for my situation. Im going for a mixed reef, but I want to build equipment around sps and place lps where possible. Budget is important here!

I have a 60g cube (24x24x24) with canopy. There’s about 10” from water to ceiling of canopy. It vents out the back, but I’m open to cutting holes or removing the ceiling if necessary.

I currently have 1 kessil 360x. I love the shimmer but I’m lacking color, power, and coverage. Running at 80% peak and my anemone is climbing to the top of the scape, so I’m guessing the par towards the top is around 200-250.

Options I’ve considered:
- add supplemental strip lighting with current 360x
- upgrade to more powerful primary light and sell 360x. (Thinking reefi uno 2.0 or orphek icon compact)

I’m not interested in going with T5’s or MH right now. Would like to stay LED only.

EEF36F22-2E81-45C0-AE67-5F23CD39D3E0.jpeg

Ok, so I've had many cubes in my time and I've had a 60 just like yours. I ran dual Kessil 360WE over it for mostly LPS and it did great for torches, etc. However it didn't do well for SPS.

I have ran a Radion XR30, an ATI Straton, GHL Mitras, and a bunch of others. The best you can do on the cubes is something like an ATI Straton, GE Coral Care, Neptune Sky, etc. Something that has a lot of coverage over the cube.

Tell me what your budget is and I can recommend a few good options for you. I've tried about all of them. Cubes are tough with lighting and flow.

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, so I've had many cubes in my time and I've had a 60 just like yours. I ran dual Kessil 360WE over it for mostly LPS and it did great for torches, etc. However it didn't do well for SPS.

I have ran a Radion XR30, an ATI Straton, GHL Mitras, and a bunch of others. The best you can do on the cubes is something like an ATI Straton, GE Coral Care, Neptune Sky, etc. Something that has a lot of coverage over the cube.

Tell me what your budget is and I can recommend a few good options for you. I've tried about all of them. Cubes are tough with lighting and flow.
I’ve been doing some thinking since opening this thread. Despite what my impulse buying nature is saying, my actual budget is very low at the moment. I need to get some coverage for as inexpensive as possible for the short term. I think finding a used t5 hybrid to complement my current kessil is the move. I’d prefer led only but it’s looking like used hybrid may be the most cost efficient path right now.

so this thread has turned more hypothetical. So hypothetically, if I had $500-$1000 to spend on lighting, spend my money. This may be the reality in a year from now, just not now.

so far I’ve gotten a ton of lighting info personalized to my tank. It has been very helpful. My takeaway has been, I can upgrade my single fixture, but any single puck/small panel will need some kind of supplementing for coverage. There’s a ton of options there.

so you’re suggesting a larger panel like the Straton or sky would have enough coverage without supplementing?

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve been doing some thinking since opening this thread. Despite what my impulse buying nature is saying, my actual budget is very low at the moment. I need to get some coverage for as inexpensive as possible for the short term. I think finding a used t5 hybrid to complement my current kessil is the move. I’d prefer led only but it’s looking like used hybrid may be the most cost efficient path right now.

so this thread has turned more hypothetical. So hypothetically, if I had $500-$1000 to spend on lighting, spend my money. This may be the reality in a year from now, just not now.

so far I’ve gotten a ton of lighting info personalized to my tank. It has been very helpful. My takeaway has been, I can upgrade my single fixture, but any single puck/small panel will need some kind of supplementing for coverage. There’s a ton of options there.

so you’re suggesting a larger panel like the Straton or sky would have enough coverage without supplementing?
Yes to your last sentence. I'll show you three pictures of my ATI Straton over a 22 x22 x22 cube. Notice how the light fills the entire tank. There wasn't much in the tank yet, but you'll see the coverage.

Screenshot_20230420_080631_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230420_080435_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230420_080400_Photos.jpg

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a little disappointed, by the title I thought this would be an unlimited budget and a little more fun, balling on a budget is a little difficult in this hobby good luck!
Sorry to disappoint. I too am disappointed that I’m balling on a budget lol

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes to your last sentence. I'll show you three pictures of my ATI Straton over a 22 x22 x22 cube. Notice how the light fills the entire tank. There wasn't much in the tank yet, but you'll see the coverage.

Screenshot_20230420_080631_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230420_080435_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230420_080400_Photos.jpg
This looks awesome. The move may be a used straton… in a year. Do you feel like it ever needs a shade for glare? The thin panel looks so good as is, would be a waste to make the profile thicker

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This looks awesome. The move may be a used straton… in a year. Do you feel like it ever needs a shade for glare? The thin panel looks so good as is, would be a waste to make the profile thicker
No, there is no glare from the Straton. I sold mine as I had other needs, but it's a fantastic light and built like a MacBook Pro.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just use the Kessil and add Quanta Pro meso blue bars, you probably only need two 24" bars and you're good. You'll want to match the violet channel to your peak intensity and add a little green and red during peak hours, say 5-10% max. You can always add another 360x later on when things start to grow in. T5's are gonna get hot under that canopy, but if you're going to use T5's, then just use a retrofit kit, no need to buy an actual fixture. But for all LED tanks, the only three that I would use are Kessil's, Quanta and Reefi. Regardless of fixtures, when lighting acropora, you're going to need more fixtures than you think, no matter what the fixture you're using.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just use the Kessil and add Quanta Pro meso blue bars, you probably only need two 24" bars and you're good. You'll want to match the violet channel to your peak intensity and add a little green and red during peak hours, say 5-10% max. You can always add another 360x later on when things start to grow in. T5's are gonna get hot under that canopy, but if you're going to use T5's, then just use a retrofit kit, no need to buy an actual fixture. But for all LED tanks, the only three that I would use are Kessil's, Quanta and Reefi. Regardless of fixtures, when lighting acropora, you're going to need more fixtures than you think, no matter what the fixture you're using.

Yep, can't disagree with this and Acropora need a lot of light. When you think light, that doesn't mean a ton of LEDs turned up to 100% for 1000 PAR. It means a lot of LEDs, MH, or T5 that provide a blanket of coverage.

I am about 45 minutes away from Sustainable Aquatics. They are a fish breeding facility and are known for their clownfish breeding program. They have a retail store that I go to sometimes. It's a small space with a nice selection of fish and some ok corals.

I will say that they have the Gen 1 or 2 Noopsyche K7 leds on all of their tanks that house corals. I mean even the grow out tanks. I've seen some MONSTER Montipora, Stunner Chalices, and every other coral you can think of. Some of those tanks have only 1 of the Noopsyche and all the LPS and montipora look fantastic. Most notable is a 60 cube that has the nicest green toadstool I've ever seen. I've tried to offer them insane amounts of money for it and they say no, lol.

So Noopsyche can grow Coral no doubt.

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are 2 quanta bars equivalent in par as 4 t5’s?

I’m planning to cut some holes in the top for ventilation and add fans if needed. worried about the excess moisture lose, but I’m sure the kessil would appreciate less humidity.

thanks for the advice. I’ll look into the retrofit before buying a fixture

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are 2 quanta bars equivalent in par as 4 t5’s?

I’m planning to cut some holes in the top for ventilation and add fans if needed. worried about the excess moisture lose, but I’m sure the kessil would appreciate less humidity.

thanks for the advice. I’ll look into the retrofit before buying a fixture

No, they might put out the PAR number as a t5, but they definitely don't have the coverage of 4 t5.

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay new question: t5 hybrid with kessil 360x OR 2 noopsyche k7 v3 pros?

again this is a 24x24x24 cube. Mixed reef. Also keep in mind resale factor, as I always like knowing I can sell equipment if I want to upgrade

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back