Help! Mirrored background 29 gallon safe?

Jtfortune3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEED HELP
So I’m new to the salty side ( I have 5 freshwater aquariums) So my grandma decided to give me her old 29 gallon bowfront tank and stand. I decided I’d set it up and do my first saltwater tank. I properly cycled the tank (requires way more patience than freshwater lol) and added two snow onyx clowns.. The problem is the back of the tank has a painted on mirrored finish and the clowns just sit in the back and surf up and down the glass rubbing on it because they see their reflections. I have read on many forums that mirrored backgrounds are not good for fish. What would be the best way now that the tank is set up to change this?
*Mirror is painted on*

Sand the back layer off and paint black?

Create some type of insert to go inside?
(tricky cause the tank has a center brace)

Just start over with a new tank?
(Maybe go bigger for more stable water parameters?)

35321D91-8307-44A8-95A9-80A4F225EF71.jpeg
84E22D32-904E-4336-8849-2320ABE242A6.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It will create problems as some fish will think it’s another fish of its kind and attack it getting stressed and even crashing into glass

OP
OP
Jtfortune3

Jtfortune3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will create problems as some fish will think it’s another fish of its kind and attack it getting stressed and even crashing into glass
That’s my fear. Im going to try various ways to remove it.. it’s painted on

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing. Drove one of my clowns nuts. Never again.

It needs to go IMO..

Mine was an actual mirror. I sanded it in tank to scuff enough

If I were you, I'd just get a new tank if you have the money. A 20 long is a fantastic first tank.
Or a 40 breeder.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't double-post. You posted the exact same question in two different subforums, so people are not going to see consistent replies.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read the same that mirrored surfaces can spook fish. Short of draining the tank and risking contamination scraping the stuff off though, I'm at a loss. If you just live with it and don't clean the back glass (which many people do not), it will eventually get covered in coraline algae and won't be reflective. On the plus side, I bet you have better light distribution and par levels than many!

Back