HELP!!! My Light fell into the tank

KJ20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the light mount padding came loose and fell off (faulty) . My new light only flashes red and blue now.
Sadly, I came home from work with a troubled tank. My lights won’t light up now and my tank upgrade and coral may not be happy. How long can coral go without light? My lights were so expensive!!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? You can get some cheap light in the mean time as a backup if you need. You can also huddle the corals into a smaller area if need be so that you don't need to spend a lot on the budget lights (if you can move the corals or their rocks close enough)

OP
OP
K

KJ20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 53gallon. 40 above and 13 for the sump. Is there a way to save my lights too?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light is it? Saltwater is very corrosive.

You can try to open it up and clean it out with RODI and alcohol.

Chances are slim though since it wasn’t caught and cleaned immediately. You never want to try to turn on anything that may have salt damage or water in it.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 53gallon. 40 above and 13 for the sump. Is there a way to save my lights too?

I am not sure that is a difficult question. Depends on warrenty (if you have the receipt / proof of purchase and registered it)

As for the lights, here are some cheap-ish lights. The par38 bulb would be the cheapest but it would require you to buy a something to house it

OP
OP
K

KJ20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure that is a difficult question. Depends on warrenty (if you have the receipt / proof of purchase and registered it)

As for the lights, here are some cheap-ish lights. The par38 bulb would be the cheapest but it would require you to buy a something to house it

Thank you!!

OP
OP
K

KJ20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!!

blatherdrift

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep an eye on your tank I heard some people get bad things in the tank and it caused big problems for the corals

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a small LED light who fell in the tank. but I was there and picked it up right up. I then dried it and use the hair dryer to do so. The following day, when it was dry it worked again.
It is still working about 1 year later.
I do not know how long your light was in the water, but it is worth a try.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely
200.gif

I'd contact AI customer service and see if they'll sell you replacements at their cost.

I once dropped a $600 Reef Octopus skimmer on a concrete floor causing a fatal crack in the cylinder. Called Reef Octo and they sold me a replacement at $250 their cost.

Mfgrs sometimes have big hearts.

You just gotta NOT talk to the hourly-paid Service Agent that answers the phone but the Service MANAGER.

Many times they have Refurbs sitting in the warehouse they can wheel and deal on. I believe my $250 doorbuster deal was a customer return but looked brand new and flawless.

Good luck....

Last edited:

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FYI, that Nicrew light may not provide you with enough illumination for the tank. I originally had 2x30w Nicrew lights over my IM40 cube, and the PAR readings weren't great. I upgraded to the 100w Nicrew light and now get 150 PAR midway down the tank, which was what I had been seeking.

You should also be aware that Nicrew doesn't offer a dual channel timer for this light (it does for the 30w variant). You can apparently use some controllers to do that, though.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, that Nicrew light may not provide you with enough illumination for the tank. I originally had 2x30w Nicrew lights over my IM40 cube, and the PAR readings weren't great. I upgraded to the 100w Nicrew light and now get 150 PAR midway down the tank, which was what I had been seeking.

You should also be aware that Nicrew doesn't offer a dual channel timer for this light (it does for the 30w variant). You can apparently use some controllers to do that, though.

I was thinking of 2 50w or 1 100w for this tank but also just something op could have in the mean time as opposed to nothing. I have used all of the nicrew models. I havenb't used the other two but they are cheap and can work especially if op needs something chea

daileyo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the light mount padding came loose and fell off (faulty) . My new light only flashes red and blue now.
Sadly, I came home from work with a troubled tank. My lights won’t light up now and my tank upgrade and coral may not be happy. How long can coral go without light? My lights were so expensive!!
Sorry to hear that man! I had something similar happen with one of my Kessil A360 lights (in my case it was more user error than faulty equipment.) I was able to get it to work again for a little while, but it ultimately had to be replaced.

I'm sure with enough persistence and knowledge... and persistence (did I say that already) yours could be repaired... but I'd imagine the time it would take may prove to make it not worth it. I like @zoa what 's suggestion. I hadn't thought of that when I finally decided to replace mine. Worse case scenario is they tell you to kick rocks.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of 2 50w or 1 100w for this tank but also just something op could have in the mean time as opposed to nothing. I have used all of the nicrew models. I havenb't used the other two but they are cheap and can work especially if op needs something chea
I'm currently running the 100w version myself, so it's more of an observation than a criticism. :)

You do have to turn the lights off manually unless you have a third-party controller (Apex or Kessil). Nicrew has become better about highlighting that fact, but it may escape some buyers because Amazon keeps wanting to bundle all of their products with their dual-channel controller, which will not work with anything except the 30w lights.

The 100w product is good for a 2 foot spread and a 2 foot depth. Nicrew seems to somewhat overestimate light output, but it's nothing too alarming.

OP
OP
K

KJ20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely
200.gif

I'd contact AI customer service and see if they'll sell you replacements at their cost.

I once dropped a $600 Reef Octopus skimmer on a concrete floor causing a fatal crack in the cylinder. Called Reef Octo and they sold me a replacement at $250 their cost.

Mfgrs sometimes have big hearts.

You just gotta NOT talk to the hourly-paid Service Agent that answers the phone but the Service MANAGER.

Many times they have Refurbs sitting in the warehouse they can wheel and deal on. I believe my $250 doorbuster deal was a customer return but looked brand new and flawless.

Good luck....
Thank this is a good idea

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank this is a good idea
@KJ20

Heck reachout to RevHtree via a PM to see if he has a contact at AI. He's gotta know somebody

Whoever you talk to at AI... tell them you are a big contributor of posts on R2R.

If they can help you out with some replacements at a sympathy-price, you'll forever sing their PRAISES on R2R.

Word of Mouth PRAISES is free advertising. Shows they're not a bunch of white collar cigar smokin' stuff shirts, lol

The KEY is NOT to talk to some hourly employee who answers phones, who doesn't make decisions. You will definitely get "I'm sorry, that something we cannot do". That's bc you're not talking to a decision maker but a butthead making $14/hr answering phones.

Get a decision maker on the phone and NICELY ask them what you want: replacements at a sympathy-price

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KJ20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KJ20

Heck reachout to RevHtree via a PM to see if he has a contact at AI. He's gotta know somebody

Whoever you talk to at AI... tell them you are a big contributor of posts on R2R.

If they can help you out with some replacements at a sympathy-price, you'll forever sing their PRAISES on R2R.

Word of Mouth PRAISES is free advertising. Shows they're not a bunch of white collar cigar smokin' stuff shirts, lol

The KEY is NOT to talk to some hourly employee who answers phones, who doesn't make decisions. You will definitely get "I'm sorry, that something we cannot do". That's bc you're not talking to a decision maker but a butthead making $14/hr answering phones.

Get a decision maker on the phone and NICELY ask them what you want: replacements at a sympathy-price
I will do that! Thanks. I bought the recommended ones above until I get the nice ones replaced.

OP
OP
K

KJ20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KJ20

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back