clownnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210814_145330.jpg
20210814_145400.jpg
20210814_145347.jpg

the purple is 7 years old. the past 2 years or so, it start having this white stuff on both side of the body.
start from on side spread to other. sometime it get this bad, sometime it will be like almost gone.
the white stuff, its jello like, grow on top of the fish. i can physically remove them, it will grow back after sometime.
i finally able to catch it now. i need to know what i need to treat it.
it doesnt seem to be spread to other fishs. also it doesnt seem to be bother it. i never see it scratch or anything.

thanks

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, interesting issue. Only thing I got is put the fish back in the water. :)

Let's see what other folk know about this condition, if anything?
Thanks for posting something new!

OP
OP
C

clownnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, interesting issue. Only thing I got is put the fish back in the water. :)

Let's see what other folk know about this condition, if anything?
Thanks for posting something new!
only out of the water for like 15 secs for the pics.
i have never seen anything like this before.
when it started, i thought it run into the carpet. however, 6 months later still a patch of a 50 cents size white patch and took almost 1.5 years before it spread to other side and like i said before it comes and goes. sometime it got as small as Nickle and sometime will be like pics cover almost entire back half of the fish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20210814_145330.jpg
20210814_145400.jpg
20210814_145347.jpg

the purple is 7 years old. the past 2 years or so, it start having this white stuff on both side of the body.
start from on side spread to other. sometime it get this bad, sometime it will be like almost gone.
it doesnt seem to be spread to other fishs. also it doesnt seem to be bother it. i never see it scratch or anything.

thanks
1. Put it in the water.
2. Take a picture
:)

Here are a couple questions that the people here Might ask -

1. Have you recently added anything to the tank.
2. Any chemicals added to the tank?
3. The rest of your parameters - pH Alkalinity, Nitrate, etc.
4. is the fish eating - otherwise behaving normally.?

Its hard to tell - to me it looks like a freshwater fish with a dropsy like condition with the scales - but out of the water its impossible to tell. Lets Tag @Jay Hemdal . Its kind of like shining the bat signal lol

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me it could be a slow-growing 'infection' like mycobacterium marinium or a weird Lymphocystis

OP
OP
C

clownnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 year with no new fish was added before that happen.
i did dose nopox, but i also stop nopox for the past year. no effect on the white stuff.
ph is 8.2, 8 alk, zero no3 and po4.
like i said it started 2 years ago, doesnt seem to be bother the fish in anyway.
unlike lymphocytis, the white stuff is more jello like, not hard like lymphocystis.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210814_145330.jpg
20210814_145400.jpg
20210814_145347.jpg

thanks

That length of time is too chronic to be directly life threatening. An acute disease will either kill the fish or get better, usually in less than a month. I've seen this on long term captive Hepatus tangs before, never on a purple tang though. It seems related to Head and Lateral Line Erosion. I've never been able to resolve it, the fish can live a long time with it, but I can't reverse it, sorry.

Jay

OP
OP
C

clownnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That length of time is too chronic to be directly life threatening. An acute disease will either kill the fish or get better, usually in less than a month. I've seen this on long term captive Hepatus tangs before, never on a purple tang though. It seems related to Head and Lateral Line Erosion. I've never been able to resolve it, the fish can live a long time with it, but I can't reverse it, sorry.

Jay
i have seen lateral line erosion before, this is not that i think.
i can physically remove the white stuff. like i said above it's jello like. it will take sometime before it grow back.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 60 32.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 38 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%

Back