HELP! MY SPS ARE PALING AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not change the gfo if your po4 is .03. I did and I got burnt tips and algae started to grow on the tips within a week.

Fercho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read through this thread fully, but in case no one else has chimed in about this... You all need to be very careful with dosing nitrogen sources and driving PO4 too low. PO4 being too low will result in things far worse than some pale corals.
Can you please elaborate on what happens from your experience if Po4 gets too low?
I have .03 Po4 and havent seen any major issues.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please elaborate on what happens from your experience if Po4 gets too low?
I have .03 Po4 and havent seen any major issues.

Corals start to die, phosphorous is an essential for life. If you're reading .03 you're likely fine, but I and others have had problems when there are undetectable levels on a Hanna checker.

Lonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay below .1 I'm at .06 and would like to be below .05 but I'm not seeing any issues so all is well I guess.

Lonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I brought my no3 up. We'll over shot to be exact lol. Went to 11ppm. Got it stable now at 7ppm. My sps responded over night! Not a huge change but when you spend most of your free time starting at them you notice subtle changes. Started using kz trace elements for sps a couple weeks ago and wow! It works awesome!
2920582bf488ee92cd7d9bdbfd40d111.jpg
this is day one after acclimating. From battle corals.
51b02b3da166aba8b5e2c990eb595617.jpg
after a couple weeks but before bringing my nutrients up.
4abda870579640b492789a9cc10b44cd.jpg
taken today.

Fercho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals start to die, phosphorous is an essential for life. If you're reading .03 you're likely fine, but I and others have had problems when there are undetectable levels on a Hanna checker.
Thanks

Fercho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I brought my no3 up. We'll over shot to be exact lol. Went to 11ppm. Got it stable now at 7ppm. My sps responded over night! Not a huge change but when you spend most of your free time starting at them you notice subtle changes. Started using kz trace elements for sps a couple weeks ago and wow! It works awesome!
2920582bf488ee92cd7d9bdbfd40d111.jpg
this is day one after acclimating. From battle corals.
51b02b3da166aba8b5e2c990eb595617.jpg
after a couple weeks but before bringing my nutrients up.
4abda870579640b492789a9cc10b44cd.jpg
taken today.
Great coloration!
So your frag got its color back from rasing your No3 to 7ppm?

Im at 1 and barely see a change in color.

Lonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That and dosing trace elements. That's the most dramatic change out of all of mine but they all got better saturation of color after I did it.

Fercho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That and dosing trace elements. That's the most dramatic change out of all of mine but they all got better saturation of color after I did it.
Great!
How about algae bloom/growth?
I want to raise my No3 some more. Probably around 4-5ppm. Im at 1 right now but i have to admit im a bit afraid of messing things up.

Fercho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to post some pics but like russ said before, iPhones are not great at taking pictures under blue light.

Lonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No algae bloom although I have to clean my glass more. I did however have a cyano outbreak. But since then all is well. Just take it slow.

Lonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a galaxy and downloaded an app called photo director. It's got a white balance auto correct that takes the blue out pretty good.

Fercho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info.
Im taking dosing No3 real slow.
Also, I will try to figure out the best way to take pics.

Spschief85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in this same predicament, I think. I dosed some potassium nitrate a week ago and they are staying at 5-10ppm (API)

Phosphates via Hanna are 0.00

API phosphate test shows 0.25ppm

Which should I believe? I feed mysis once a day and run a skimmer. Could phosphates really be 0.00?
I'm having a similar issue... my nitrates show around 12 on red sea kit my phosphate is 0.00 on hanna and I see stuff paling out... is it possible to have nitrates in that range with no phosphate? I only have 2 clowns and feed them afew pellets 2 to 3 times a week. And half they don't eat... I don't have any brown algae in my tank but I do have alittle cyno, I've been dosing small amounts of vodka for a month maybe... started at .4ml daily for 3 weeks and now I'm doing .8ml daily I havnt seen nitrates drop and cyno starting... I don't have to clean my glass except for a light film here and there and blotches of the cyno. I started dosing red sea energy a and b to dirty up the water and 2ml of oyster feast a day along with acropower to help feed the corals... I have a 8 bulb sunpower running 6 blue+,1 coral+, and 1 purple + I've been running them for 6 and a half hours a day and the corals are 27 inches from the fixture. I don't necessarily think that's too much light for acros. So I'm guessing they are starving because I've observed colors greening where they aren't looking to be bleaching. My question is should I stop carbon dosing? Cut back the skimmer since it's oversized for my tank... may run it day on day off and try and find a happy medium. I don't think dosing nitrates is going to help... it's my guess if I'm not getting a brown film on the glass my to clean at all my corals are starving. Any incite would be greatly appreciated have some really nice acros and don't want to lose them. I feel like I know what I need to do but would love some incite

Spschief85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested phosphate via Hanna and got .05 my nitrates are around 10... I'll keep dosing reef energy a and b and feeding oyster feast and see how things turn out.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested phosphate via Hanna and got .05 my nitrates are around 10... I'll keep dosing reef energy a and b and feeding oyster feast and see how things turn out.

I have found that in a ULNS that Amino's help. I have used acropower and had similar results. I now use (ME polyp extender) and got improvement. IMO NO3PO4 X by red sea works well for me. I don't what reef energy a/b is? good luck

illjoshlli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to this great thread I'm hoping I have found a resolution to my pale coral issues. After lots of reading I've started Nitrate dosing this week and would like some advice/guidance to make sure I'm on the right track. I'm dosing to hopefully reslove my pale coral issue and potentially reduce/eliminate my nuisance algae. I apologize this came out to be so long....

I started dosing Monday on my 58 gallon with 5ml of potassium nitrate (stump remover watered down). This brought my Nitrates from 0 to .25. By Tuesday (24 hours later) it was back to zero. On Tuesday I dosed 10ml which brought my Nitrates up to 1. Today (24 hours later) my Nitrate level was .5. My plan tonight and moving forward is to keep dosing 1oML until I hit a nitrate level of 2 and then track and maintain from there. Since I started dosing I've noticed that the color of my Cyano appears to have become a much stronger red (kinda scary :) ).

my current levels tonight:
PO4: .009, NO3:.5(after dosing) Alk 7.2, Calc: 428, Mag:1410, PH:8.4, Salinity:34.8
**Nitrate has been 0 for 6 months. PO4 fluctuates between .000-.02 for the past week closer to .02
I dose AquaForest B and V 2 drops every 3 days or so and AcroPower 10ml every 3 days (just reduced to 5ml).

I always run 1-2 cups of carbon and just recently (1.5 weeks ago) started running GFO (1/2 cup) to help combat the Cyano. Other than that I run a skimmer and filter sock.

Full story:
I have a 58 gallon tank that has been up and running for 5 years now. I did a big 'remodel' on it 9 months ago changing the landscape and adding almost all new higher-end equipment. the tank has been very steady with the new gear now for 6+ months. My corals (mostly SPS) are doing well with OK growth. For the majority of those 9 months my nutrients were zero and my corals have been very pale and completely hit/miss on polyp extension. A few months ago I started to realize the nutrients were probably my biggest issue. I've been using AcroPower for 6+ months and found that if I don't dose it a few times a week my colors get worse and my polyp extension reduces.

Following the default path I added a couple more fish and started feeding much more. Since then my growth has increased and the colors are just the slightest bit better. I still have not seen a nitrate level > 0 in 6 months but my PO4 is starting to show. Along with seeing some measured PO4 I've started seeing a little hair algae and most recently (past 3 weeks) Cyano.

This has led me to now start moving forward with Nitrate dosing. From my readings it appears that my troubles with coral colors could be related to this. Also, even though my PO4 has been <02 and usually around .009 or less I still have some nuisance algae.

Any advice / guidance would be helpful. I want to keep moving forward but I don't want to be feeding the Algae.

Tank pic from tonight

Cyano:

Corals that need some colors:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back