OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a similar issue with a large blue maxima. But no fish in the system.

I've never heard of a amphipods damaging a clam, and if so, they'd be attacking all of your clams I would think?
This particular clams has a damaged/irregular shell connective tissue. (The soft shell like flap that connects the two halves. That where they were mainly living. May be they aren’t attacking the clam, but they were causing a ton of irritation to the clam that I know for sure. As my clam wouldn’t fully open until I got these guys off of it.

Also :

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This particular clams has a damaged/irregular shell connective tissue. (The soft shell like flap that connects the two halves. That where they were mainly living. May be they aren’t attacking the clam, but they were causing a ton of irritation to the clam that I know for sure. As my clam wouldn’t fully open until I got these guys off of it.

Also :

Well if it's actually eating, which it appears to be, I stand corrected and this is very good information To have.

What's odd though is that they'd only be attacking a single clam and not all of the clams equally. That doesn't make sense, unless something has weakened that clam somehow and made it easier to eat.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have too much clams for such a small tank. I think the clams are competing for nutrients and the smaller canals suffers. Gigas grow really fast and may not be affect too much. But the Squamosa having problem is th the smallest of the three. If I am you, I change large amount of water, at least 25% weekly. Keep adding enough Ca and Alkalinity. Consider removing some of the clams you have.
Wouldn't he be able to "just feed more"? Or doesn't the nutrients intake work like that?

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if it's actually eating, which it appears to be, I stand corrected and this is very good information To have.

What's odd though is that they'd only be attacking a single clam and not all of the clams equally. That doesn't make sense, unless something has weakened that clam somehow and made it easier to eat.
BTW the video isn’t mine, that’s someone else’s clam getting attacked. Again, my amphipods might not be attacking the clam, however they are for sure the cause of the agitation. The hinge on this clam is broken in several places giving these guys the access to be able to just sit inside of the clam. I already found a solution before getting a wrasse, I’m going to fill out a saucer with sand and bury the hinge so these guys don’t have the access.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wouldn't he be able to "just feed more"? Or doesn't the nutrients intake work like that?
Clams will eat particulate food, but it's really random and they don't always consume the food they take in. But having more fish will provide ammonium, which in turn feeds the zoo (and the clam).
It will be interesting to see if the pods are actually eating at the clam or just irritating it. The puzzle is why only one clam? But as mentioned, maybe the clam is more stressed, which would make it more vulnerable?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW the video isn’t mine, that’s someone else’s clam getting attacked. Again, my amphipods might not be attacking the clam, however they are for sure the cause of the agitation. The hinge on this clam is broken in several places giving these guys the access to be able to just sit inside of the clam. I already found a solution before getting a wrasse, I’m going to fill out a saucer with sand and bury the hinge so these guys don’t have the access.
I have these pods in my nano and they move special grade sand around quite easily. In fact, I thought I had some wild pistols shrimps, but it was just the pods digging a burrow.

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these pods in my nano and they move special grade sand around quite easily. In fact, I thought I had some wild pistols shrimps, but it was just the pods digging a burrow.
I’m hoping there will be less incentive for these guys to get to the hinge because of the saucer walls and the sand, at least until I figure out my predator situation.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m hoping there will be less incentive for these guys to get to the hinge because of the saucer walls and the sand, at least until I figure out my predator situation.
I'm sure anything will help at this point. Hopefully with a wrasse hunting them down, they won't have a place to hide. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back