OP
Kevin Padgett

Kevin Padgett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to hve lost a significant amount of the lower fin as the photos in this post progress. Is this a sign of infection? Or that area was so damaged it took the rest with it?
I’m not 100 percent but it looks like the fins fell off from the initial sting/poison of the anemone. The damaged area has not spread up the body just stayed in the area of the lower fins.

OP
OP
Kevin Padgett

Kevin Padgett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try leaving veggie on a clip and a couple drops of garlic x to see if he eats.
I have done the following trying to kick start an appetite again.
There is a clip with Nori that stays near him 24/7 since this weekend. Every morning and afternoon I have offered flake, pellet, and Rod’s Original Frozen. All of this had Garlic added. I have done water changes to suck out excess food that the BT isn’t eating. Hopefully that changes tomorrow!

OP
OP
Kevin Padgett

Kevin Padgett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much has changed today. He is still swimming well. He still has no appetite. It appears that the scabs are continuing to slowly peel off. It is going to be interesting to see what is under them.

Here are pictures from this morning.
IMG_1690.jpg
IMG_1691.jpg

OP
OP
Kevin Padgett

Kevin Padgett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White scabs are starting to peel off. It looks like there is new tissue/scales forming underneath. The greyish/white above the scabbed area. Still swimming good and alert. Still no appetite. For my sanity I NEED to see him eat! I guess there are still toxins from the sting that are messing with his appetite.

IMG_1694.jpg
IMG_1696.jpg
IMG_1697.jpg

OP
OP
Kevin Padgett

Kevin Padgett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sheesh, out of all of the fish for this to happen to

Tell me about it!

He got his butt kicked good. I did not picture this when I clicked on the thread. Keep us updated. If this guy pulls through it will give hope to all future reefers that might encounter this in their tank.

Today it actually looks better than it has. I'm hoping he pulls through and this becomes a case study of scale regeneration for future situations. Fingers crossed for a happy ending.

If you go back and look at the pictures it really looks like fish have similar ways of handling damaged tissue as humans. I know I had some pretty nasty scabs on my knees growing up. I'm hoping this stays true with my guy!

OP
OP
Kevin Padgett

Kevin Padgett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough post! I lost my guy last night! :confused: The scab ended up peeling off during the night revealing a pretty deep wound as you can see in the picture. The toxins from the Gig really did massive damage. In this case they not only paralyzed the area, but it almost looks like they started the digestion process if that is even possible. I know spiders do this with their prey.

I was hoping he was regenerating new tissue but apparently not.

Been a tough morning! Going to be hard to replace between the bond I had with the fish and cost! :(

IMG_1703.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back