Help needed...corals dying and I don’t know why!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do 10% weekly changes anyway. Do you have a recommendation for the intensity on the gen 4’s?
No. I still use kessils and T5’s and never have used Gen 4’s. But they can put out lots of light. For LPS in general, they don’t need much light. Most of mine are on the bottom and some are shaded getting 50-150 PAR. But some nutrients are desired that’s why I recommended rowaphos removal.

I have been reefing over 25 years. Most of the problems I have had is during the 1 year I tried to run low nutrients.

OP
OP
H

Han_And

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I still use kessils and T5’s and never have used Gen 4’s. But they can put out lots of light. For LPS in general, they don’t need much light. Most of mine are on the bottom and some are shaded getting 50-150 PAR. But some nutrients are desired that’s why I recommended rowaphos removal.

I have been reefing over 25 years. Most of the problems I have had is during the 1 year I tried to run low nutrients.
Okay thank you. I’ll take it out and check the light settings. Thank you

trout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove rowaphos, do weekly 10% water changes and check PAR level. Gen 4’s are pretty strong.

I concur. I guessed that the OP must be using some form of PO4 adsorber after seeing the PO4 test result. I suspect that NO3 levels are also low given the small fish population.

@Han_And I would stop using GFO. If you have algae bed, then that should take care of PO4 and NO3. Your corals will look healthier if PO4 rises above 0.046 mg/L. If you do not have any algae bed, then a gentle form of organic carbon dosing, such as Tropic Marin NP-Bacto-Balance, should be OK because the product contains phosphates as well as organic form of nitrogen and NO3 in it, thus preventing starvation of corals while reducing them.

OP
OP
H

Han_And

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur. I guessed that the OP must be using some form of PO4 adsorber after seeing the PO4 test result. I suspect that NO3 levels are also low given the small fish population.

@Han_And I would stop using GFO. If you have algae bed, then that should take care of PO4 and NO3. Your corals will look healthier if PO4 rises above 0.046 mg/L.
Okay thank you. We’ll take the RowaPhos out the tank and give that a go. Hopefully we’ll see some improvements before it’s too late

trout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you. We’ll take the RowaPhos out the tank and give that a go. Hopefully we’ll see some improvements before it’s too late

I have edited my post since you quoted it and suggested a slightly different strategy to deal with nutrients.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some are close to a year others only a month or so.

we changed our lights from the kessil A360’s to the radion xr30 pro’s gen 4. We changed them about 6 months ago or so

nitrates were about 10 so on the lower side
I would check par most lps prefer around 100-200 and radions can easily put out 800+. So checking with a par meter is really important when running high power leds

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a similar problem with a hammer - heads just keep dying off and don't know whey. Parameters stable and no changes to system.

Euphyllia Coral Heads Dying.jpg
I'd like to know why they do it, as mine have started bailing heads.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any more feed back on this thread as to how things are going now? I think I found a possible cause for mine, my salinity might have been a little high at 1.028 as my 35ppt calibration solution was a little off. I think it was a bit old and giving me a false base line.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back