Help needed for Flow Pumps positioning

MrBubble47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

please, I need some advice to better understand what are the best spots to place flow pumps in my tank.

At the moment, I have 2 Hydor Koralia 4400 (4000lt/hr - 1056gal/hr)
they are currently alternating, when one starts, the other stops.

Where and how should I place them?

Also, if I wanted to replace them, would AI Nero 3 be good for my tanks flow requirements?

Thanks to anyone willing to help me ;)

62ECEDBA-5FF5-4AAD-8FD6-A172D55EA33F.jpeg BDD1924E-BBCE-41EB-ADB5-BD0CA540FF7C.jpeg 56A209A6-0B1A-46EE-8C96-84637492008D.jpeg 0AFF4313-C50F-49EC-A724-8843D6E36AB0.jpeg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree in principle with @blaxsun. If you want to kill two birds with one stone, keep your main pumps where they are, but get a small cheap wave maker and use it to break the water’s surface. Hook it up to an Icecap battery back up, and if your power goes out you will be able to have some oxygenation for a couple of days during the outage.

OP
OP
MrBubble47

MrBubble47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself, I might be inclined to aim them upwards towards the water surface - but that's just me. Yes, a pair of Nero 3s would work nicely in your tank.
Thank you! They were aiming the water surface before I moved them today, I wanted to try a different positioning. I’ll post a pic of how they looked like before I moved them.
Would you keep them like they are now, but aiming them towards the water surface or would you move them in the previous spot?

Attachments

• 56FF9B2B-2278-44DD-BBB0-1605FC7ABD30.jpeg
    56FF9B2B-2278-44DD-BBB0-1605FC7ABD30.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
MrBubble47

MrBubble47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree in principle with @blaxsun. If you want to kill two birds with one stone, keep your main pumps where they are, but get a small cheap wave maker and use it to break the water’s surface. Hook it up to an Icecap battery back up, and if your power goes out you will be able to have some oxygenation for a couple of days during the outage.
What wave maker would you recommend?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! They were aiming the water surface before I moved them today, I wanted to try a different positioning. I’ll post a pic of how they looked like before I moved them.
Would you keep them like they are now, but aiming them towards the water surface or would you move them in the previous spot?
Aesthetically they're more pleasing at the back of the tank because they blend in. The previous position angled towards the center will probably work pretty well as well. Aiming slightly down is probably preferable in this configuration since you don't want both pumps aimed upwards at the center front of the tank (too easy to create spills).

You could also try aiming both out towards the sides of the tank, to get a bounce off the sides, front and then back to the rear.

The IceCap battery works with all IceCap and Maxspect gyre pumps, Reef Octopus Octo Pulse pumps and Reef Octopus VarioS pumps (there may be others as well).

OP
OP
MrBubble47

MrBubble47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aesthetically they're more pleasing at the back of the tank because they blend in. The previous position angled towards the center will probably work pretty well as well. Aiming slightly down is probably preferable in this configuration since you don't want both pumps aimed upwards at the center front of the tank (too easy to create spills).

You could also try aiming both out towards the sides of the tank, to get a bounce off the sides, front and then back to the rear.

The IceCap battery works with all IceCap and Maxspect gyre pumps, Reef Octopus Octo Pulse pumps and Reef Octopus VarioS pumps (there may be others as well).
Thank you so much!
One last thing: would you let the pump work simultaneously or alternating?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much!
One last thing: would you let the pump work simultaneously or alternating?
You could do either. I'd try both to see what the effect is on the tank, ie: simultaneously maybe you get too much flow but alternating maybe gives you the ideal balance.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D7A94C45-6EBB-47A2-AD6A-17837E7D800A.jpeg

I have one of these in each of my 150s, up near the top, busting up the water. I use a sine wave setting that should run off my Icecap Battery for probably 72 hours if I lose power.

Back