OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just says it’s an ammonia reducer block... comes with the aqueous hob filters. I’ll take it out.. sucks bc I soaked that in the BioSpira for a good one 12hrs... then I dumped the rest of it into the tank

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, without seeing it, I would be concerned that it contained carbon.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I’ll take that out and toss in some filter floss.. then add the 40+mL of coppersafe to get up to 1.5ppm.. I’ll test when I get home from work between 4-5am

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it this ?
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 12.42.53 PM.png

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0302ffd32940e80c6edd5aaa478c3748.jpg
no it’s this one.. I know the other ones have carbon in there but this one just says ammonia reducer specialty block

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is weird.. the Anthia doesn’t look to have any specks anymore and the Kole tang has very minimal specks... is it possible that it’s ICH and not velvet?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked them up and they make ammonia reducing, carbon reducing and phosphate reducing pads. I think your is ok. The carbon one looks identical but it black. Use it.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. I’ve read it so I get the difference between eradication and management. I’d go the eradication way as I don’t plan on doing this again lol but as far as equipment goes, what will I need? Chemical wise. What will I need?

From my understanding once its in your tank its always there. unless you let your tank go Fallow for a few months. When I had 125g
I tried hypo salinity in a qt tank. I wanted to stay way from chemicals. Most folks told me about using cooper in my QT but it will kill inverts so please keep it away from your DT. Ensure your fish have a good diet keep them as healthy as possible. I also fed with garlic.
But to ensure I got rid of it my tank went fallow for a few months. I even tried fresh water dips. everyone lived. However I am not a pro but I survived. and now I QT lol.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is weird.. the Anthia doesn’t look to have any specks anymore and the Kole tang has very minimal specks... is it possible that it’s ICH and not velvet?
Sure. It's possible. If true then you can slowly ramp up the copper. One way to check for velvet is to shine a small flashlight at an angle the long way of the fish and look for the "dusting" of the velvet spots.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get to 47.25 ish for min therapeutic levels. I'd be concerned about the anthia. You really need to ramp up slowly for them if possible. But if you are seeing them other than the spots, swimming, eating, not hiding, not flashing, not breathing hard. I'd dose it up to min in 5 days. That's 5ml in the AM and 5 ml in the PM for 5 days. That would put you just a bit over the min level.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay well I won’t be getting them into QT til atleast Sunday bc that’s my next off day. Should I dose now and leave it til I add them?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The copper doesn't evaporate. Whatever you put in today will still be there until you finally do water changes, carbon, cuprisorb, etc. to get it out of the tank.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. So if it is ICH.. what should the level be when fish are first put into QT? Or should it be at 1.5ppm like we talked about earlier?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they were my fish, and it's Ich, I'd put them in today and dose 5ml now and 5 ml tonight for 5 days. The 1.5ppm is the emergency treatment for velvet because it kills so quickly you need to act fast, even at the risk of exposing the fish to that much copper all at once. It's a calculated risk. Copper is a poison. No doubt about it. But velvet is a ruthless, quick acting killer that usually attacks the fish's gills and the fish suffocate right in front of your eyes. Rough to watch. I lost an entire QT of fish a few months back. The velvet wiped them all out (6 fish) within 5 days. Tough week.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s insane man... if I could put them in today I would, I tried to take off work but they won’t let me do Sunday is my best bet

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with diagnosis is that velvet is rampant in the industry these days. So everyone is on "velvet" alert for good reason. Many suppliers and LFS are dosing their tanks with sub-therapeutic levels of copper to keep disease down and fish looking good to sell. Copper has a tendency to wash out some of the color of the fish, so they don't look so good to buyers. So, people buy these fish and then the sub-therapeutic levels of copper wear off and within 30 days or so, the velvet, ich, bacterial infections come roaring back almost without warning and often without displaying the usual symptoms and symptom progression. Suddenly you have a dead fish or two or three. So you can see why folks are jumpy and very concerned about "spots" on your fish.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally got all the fish into QT.. did a 5min freshwater dip on all of them then let them take a Acriflavine bath for a half hour and now they’re all in QT... minus 1 fish that I cannot find... I bought 2 queen anthias awhile ago but only seen both of them 1... he would always hide in the rocks. I took every piece of LR out of my tank and searched every piece and I cannot find him. I’m really hoping this doesn’t stunt my fallow period

7f2e5eccfd0dc01a875a37ff7fde662b.jpg

You can’t see anything in the freshwater bath bc I did it in a 5gal white bucket. Wishing I did it in something clear so I could actually see all of the stuff that fell off the fish. The tang looks to have 0 specks right now but has a lot of blemishes... which makes me believe it’s velvet again.
b86861d0daa3909d7cafaac5f0506821.jpg
and he hasn’t been eating the passed few days so I dunno if that’s why he looks rather skinny. Didn’t look like this before

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I finally got all the fish into QT.. did a 5min freshwater dip on all of them then let them take a Acriflavine bath for a half hour and now they’re all in QT... minus 1 fish that I cannot find... I bought 2 queen anthias awhile ago but only seen both of them 1... he would always hide in the rocks. I took every piece of LR out of my tank and searched every piece and I cannot find him. I’m really hoping this doesn’t stunt my fallow period

7f2e5eccfd0dc01a875a37ff7fde662b.jpg

You can’t see anything in the freshwater bath bc I did it in a 5gal white bucket. Wishing I did it in something clear so I could actually see all of the stuff that fell off the fish. The tang looks to have 0 specks right now but has a lot of blemishes... which makes me believe it’s velvet again.
b86861d0daa3909d7cafaac5f0506821.jpg
and he hasn’t been eating the passed few days so I dunno if that’s why he looks rather skinny. Didn’t look like this before
try some food soaked in garlic see if he eats that.

Back