HELP! New tank emergency!!

Christam1433

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP!!
I have a 45 gal Bow front Fluval kit tank. It is 6 weeks old. I have had 2 small (3/4 inch) clownfish in it for 3 weeks, 3 snails and 5 hermit crabs for 2 weeks.

Yesterday I changed the poly-foam filter on Fluval C4. This morning I needed to do a water change, and I was having an electrician friend come over to add an outlet on the wall behind my tank. I drained to tank to 2 inches of water, moved the fish to the barrel that had 20 gals of tank water (I had additional buckets as well..), a heater and an air-stone while the work to the was was completed. I then pumped the saved tank water (and 12 gallons of new salt water) back into the tank. I was almost completely done pumping the water from a 20 gallon tub back into the tank when my youngest had a fall and required a trip to the emergency room. (My husband recently passed so its just me...and I have a tendency to panic) In the panic of leaving, I asked my 14 year old to go make sure the pump was off. He unplugged the pump, but left the hose in the tank. Needless to say, when we got home from the ER 3 hours later (my youngest in a cast), my tank has 2 1/2 inches of water left in it, my floor is flooded and my heater (brand new Hyggar that I put in today), live rock, and filter(Fluval C4 HOB) have been running dry. My clownfish are tiny, they were still swimming..... my rug is now outside...not sure how to save it.....
BUT.... my tank..... I have pumped the water that was in the 20gallon can that I mix water in back into the tank. Remember, I changed 12 of 45 gallons earlier, now Im putting 20 gallons of that 25% change water back in.... and Im heating and mixing more water as we speak...... my heater???? It was definetly out of the water....at least 20-30 minutes.....

Any suggestions???? Should I add a half bottle of Uncle Tim's bacteria? I think my rock was exposed to air for at least 2 hours..... I leave for a 2 week trip in 10 days and my house sitter is competent, but young. I'm afraid that if I don't tell her exactly what to look for she might miss something....and I just SUPER stressed my fish...... and I really want this tank to work..... should I replace the heater?? It is BRAND new.... in the tank 3 hours....

Thank you so much for any advice.....

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok take a breath and try to relax.

The most important thing is are your kids and they are ok ;)

The tank should be fine. You are doing the right thing by making new water as fast as you can and refilling, just make sure the temp is right and salinity is also. The fish will be ok especially if they are still swimming.

The rocks will be fine outside of water for a few hours. You can definitely add a bottle of bac to settle your nerves tho. Bacteria is really strong and there is most likely enough in the rocks to handle this large water change.

You don't have a lot in your tank which is a good thing. The clowns are some of the hardiest fish out there.

Make sure all equipment is working properly and if you have to replace something that's not he worst.

As long as the heater and HOB filter is working you should be back in buisness in no time ;)

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the heater have any kind of safety functions? (Would it shut off automatically if it got too hot?). I would think that if it still currently works and is holding a constant temp that it’s fine for now, but keep an eye on it and replace it soon anyway if $$ is not the issue. Otherwise, if you got it at a store like Petco just say it was defective and you want to exchange it.

Add the bacteria if you have it, don’t think you could go wrong there.

Most importantly, don’t panic! Your tank is young, you caught the problem, your fish are alive!

perform a water change tomorrow ASAP, and at least one more before you leave for vacation.

it sounds like some 40ish gallons of water soaked into your floor. That could be an issue! You should be able to rent an industrial dehumidifier from Lowe’s or Home Depot which will help dry everything out.

OP
OP
C

Christam1433

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the heater have any kind of safety functions? (Would it shut off automatically if it got too hot?). I would think that if it still currently works and is holding a constant temp that it’s fine for now, but keep an eye on it and replace it soon anyway if $$ is not the issue. Otherwise, if you got it at a store like Petco just say it was defective and you want to exchange it.

Add the bacteria if you have it, don’t think you could go wrong there.

Most importantly, don’t panic! Your tank is young, you caught the problem, your fish are alive!

perform a water change tomorrow ASAP, and at least one more before you leave for vacation.

it sounds like some 40ish gallons of water soaked into your floor. That could be an issue! You should be able to rent an industrial dehumidifier from Lowe’s or Home Depot which will help dry everything out.

The heater was hot when I started putting water back into the tank..... it sizzled.... the heater is a titanium rod. I bought it from Amazon, but have heard that Hyggar is no longer selling in the US.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heater was hot when I started putting water back into the tank..... it sizzled.... the heater is a titanium rod. I bought it from Amazon, but have heard that Hyggar is no longer selling in the US.
I would be lying if I said that had never happened to me. I am forever forgetting to unplug the heater on my freshwater tank during water changes, it’s reminded me by sizzling more than once when I start adding water back. It’s 2 years old and still going strong!

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s very good. If you can I’d recommend getting another heater as a back up to have on hand. It doesn’t need to be an expensive one. Just one from a store like Petco is fine for that size tank.

The good news is your tank is young and you don’t have a lot in it.

Get some Seachem Prime or similar in case you have an ammonia spike from all the changes. Some of the exterior of your rock could have died. And the water the clowns were in might have a bit of an elevated level of ammonia.

Extra bacteria can’t hurt.

Then poor yourself a glass of wine. You’ve earned it! Lol

OP
OP
C

Christam1433

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I just searched my box, and I do not have Uncle Tim's..... I used it on the rock that I am cycling in a covered water can. I do have a bottle of MicroBacter clean. Can I use that ? I am strugling to remember if this was to start a cycle, or kill alage....

OP
OP
C

Christam1433

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s very good. If you can I’d recommend getting another heater as a back up to have on hand. It doesn’t need to be an expensive one. Just one from a store like Petco is fine for that size tank.

The good news is your tank is young and you don’t have a lot in it.

Get some Seachem Prime or similar in case you have an ammonia spike from all the changes. Some of the exterior of your rock could have died. And the water the clowns were in might have a bit of an elevated level of ammonia.

Extra bacteria can’t hurt.

Then poor yourself a glass of wine. You’ve earned it! Lol
Thank you!! I am pouring glass 2 now!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your rock is fine and so is your heater. Glass heaters will crack. Ti ones are pretty bullet proof. If it works now and is still working in a week it should be fine.
No need to add any bacteria. Your sand and rock has plenty. Bacteria is hard to kill on a porous surface. Just ask a doctor.
Have the tank sitter feed the fish, check the temp and water level, as normal and enjoy your trip.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 34 27.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 60 48.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back