Help! Nuisance Algae ID please!

Shiva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

So I’ve had this reef tank setup for slightly over 6 months; I had everything transferred in from my old tank 6 months ago, and for some reason I’ve had wave after wave of this algae come in.

It’s a think jelly-like substance that’s formed on the rocks and sand bed. They don’t really have bubbles or disappear at night, but rather they form a mat, that thickens over time. I believe they are photosynthetic to some extent and only grow on the areas which the light hits, but their general appearance is light brown.

I’ve tried manually removing it multiple times, but I can’t seem to get rid of them. I’ve also tried Vibrant which didn’t really help much.

Would any of y’all happen to have encountered this, or have any suggested solutions? Thanks!

(P.S. I’m sorry if the photos look a little janky it’s pretty difficult to get a good shot of them)
IMG_2790.jpeg
IMG_2788.jpeg
IMG_2795.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Take a look at this R2R thread to see if there are any similarities:

OP
OP
Shiva

Shiva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at this R2R thread to see if there are any similarities:
Hi, thanks for the response! So far mine looks a little more brown, from what I see. I managed to get a better pic at night. I’m trying another bout of vibrant again, but just being extra cautious with it.
IMG_2810.jpeg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back