HELP, NUISANCE ALGAE OR SOMETHING ELSE? new tank

Dinosaur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is my new tank, it is 2 months old,i started with 80% dead rock and notice someting sticky algae like on my rock, it is very hard to scrape even with toothbrush and started to overgrown my corals, it is kinda like dedritus wrapped with hair algae. what can i do? and i noticed it only occured on my display tank (top)and not on my refugium (bottom)
parameter :
No3 =1 ppm (i achieved this number by sugar dosing)
PO4 = 1 ppm
MG = 1500
CA = 500
kh = 14 (overdose)
Alk = 7.9
WhatsApp Image 2022-01-23 at 09.27.34.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-01-23 at 09.27.33 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-01-23 at 09.27.33 (2).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-01-23 at 09.27.33.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red is probably cyano. A 2 month old tank is just beginning its ugly phases and keeping corals healthy will be nearly impossible. Your alk is way to high and so is your phosphate. Your nitrates are way low. Cut lights back to 6 hours with no whites just blue and uv and work on correcting your water parameters. Siphon up what you can with water changes.

OP
OP
Dinosaur

Dinosaur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red is probably cyano. A 2 month old tank is just beginning its ugly phases and keeping corals healthy will be nearly impossible. Your alk is way to high and so is your phosphate. Your nitrates are way low. Cut lights back to 6 hours with no whites just blue and uv and work on correcting your water parameters. Siphon up what you can with water changes.
further question :
1 should i do water changes or just refill it with freshwater
2 i plan to add activated carbon on my filter socks and replace it every 2 days, will that help improving my water quality?
3 i tried 8 hours blue light with low intensity for 2 weeks, but my coral got smaller, some of them doesnt even blooming anymore till today, so i switched back to white and blue mode with high intensity and they get better (but as well as the nuisance algae too), are u sure 6 hours blue will be ok?
4. as long as my mg,KH,ph,Calcium meet the standar requirement, is it ok if i dont add any trace elements?
5. will the nuissance algae go on its own?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally you don't have any coral or lights for the first 3 to 4 months. Since your tank is so new, you should not be dosing anything just regular weekly water changes should keep things balanced initially. If your alk is 7.9 that's OK. I'm confused by your phosphate though is it 1 or .1? You want nitrate 5 to 10 and phosphate. 05 to .1. I suggest only running blue lights for 6 hours since you already have various algae forms developing. The ugly stages can last many months sometimes with various types of algae. Focus on water parameters, siphon what you can during water changes. Increase flow in high algae areas.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back