Help please! Powder blue blood coming from gills

clown1997

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have gone to my tank and found my powder blue dead on the sand. I have took him out of the tank when I have looked at him he as blood coming from is gills. I have never seen this before on a fish why as this happened, can anybody please help me. I have done a test for ammonia and it as come back clear. I am gutted as he was a stunning fish and one of my favourites in the tank. He was feeding yesterday and swimming around like he normally would.

96E1ED08-DF20-4D94-A824-895B9D63A064.jpeg

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have gone to my tank and found my powder blue dead on the sand. I have took him out of the tank when I have looked at him he as blood coming from is gills. I have never seen this before on a fish why as this happened, can anybody please help me. I have done a test for ammonia and it as come back clear. I am gutted as he was a stunning fish and one of my favourites in the tank. He was feeding yesterday and swimming around like he normally would.

#fishmedic

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

May be ammonia burn. Still not sure. Expert's will answer this better than me. Sorry for your fish.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
any other fish in tank showing any signs of distress ?
have you recently added any meds ?

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like ammonia burn to me. I hv not seen Parasite doing this. U can do a water change when expert's say

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there anything picking at the fish when you found it? A blood vessel could have been punctured, causing the blood.
Flukes can also be a possibility, when they drop off they often leave wounds on the fish.
How was the tang acting before it died?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the fish? Was it quarantined? What are other whater parameters? Was this an API test?

OP
OP
C

clown1997

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there anything picking at the fish when you found it? A blood vessel could have been punctured, causing the blood.
Flukes can also be a possibility, when they drop off they often leave wounds on the fish.
How was the tang acting before it died?
Nope nothing was on the fish it was just the blood coming from his gills that all I saw, nothing else was on him. The fish was acting fine he was eating and swimming around woke up this morning and found him dead on the sand

OP
OP
C

clown1997

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the fish? Was it quarantined? What are other whater parameters? Was this an API test?
I have had him nearly a year now. Yeah it was established already in fish tank as got him from someone else tank as he was shutting is tank down. And as been fine no concerns, are like a pig and swimming around. Was shocked to see him dead on the sand as no signs that something was wrong with him.This wasn’t api test.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

This is not flukes or ammonia burn but often a fish may bleed or hemorhage when laboring for last breaths. It is hard to determine cause with a dead fish but assume. Some other possibilities are:
Injury (my guess)
Ingested something sharp
Blood could be result of scavengers starting to pick at it
IF ammonia poisoning, fish would first be gasping at the surface for a while and fins will have red streaks
Crashing into object (another possibility)

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

clown1997

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not flukes or ammonia burn but often a fish may bleed or hemorhage when laboring for last breaths. It is hard to determine cause with a dead fish but assume. Some other possibilities are:
Injury (my guess)
Ingested something sharp
Blood could be result of scavengers starting to pick at it
IF ammonia poisoning, fish would first be gasping at the surface for a while and fins will have red streaks
Crashing into object (another possibility)
Yep it is hard when just suddenly dies. Yeah didn’t think it would be ammonia or flukes thank you. Okay so could be a lot of things just one of them things that happen in the hobby. Yh maybe he got injured during the night guess we never know what happens but good to know what might have happened to him for him to die. Thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back